The USFSP Student Government Presidential Candidates: One Last Glimpse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Today at 8 p.m, the 2017 USFSP SG President will be announced. Our Her Campus team has taken the time to gather some last-minute responses from the presidential candidates.

Madeline Friese

Photo Taken By Megan Hammer

Maddy is a sophomore and an Environmental Science major. She has been an active member of the Women’s Varsity Sailing Team, and she also acts as Secretary for the USFSP Golf Club, Vice President of the Art Club, and Director of Governmental Affairs for Student Government. When she first joined SG, she worked as the Historian: She was responsible for keeping records and clerking meetings in all branches. She now acts as the director of Governmental Affairs, serving as a liaison between the campus and the downtown community.

“One of the programs I’m really passionate about is Bulls in the Burg. I love being able to set up partnerships with business owners to make college life more affordable as well as get the students to support local shops and restaurants,” Maddy said.

Maddy also expressed her feelings towards the USFSP campus and the St. Pete community.

“I felt an instant connection with this campus. The downtown area offers so much art and culture. Becoming a Bull really made me feel like I was becoming a part of something bigger and important; like a family,” Maddy continued, “USFSP has truly become home to me. Now I want to give back in any way I can and make being a Bull an even better experience.”

As an Environmental Science major, Maddy exemplifies her passion for sustainability and mitigating environmental problems through her future plans for Student Government.

“I’m so grateful and excited to have this chance to share my plans and vision for what Student Government can be and do for the students,” she said.

David Thompson

Photo Taken By Grace Cunningham

David Thompson is a junior and a Political Science major with a minor in Environmental Policy. He acts as the Marketing Chair of Student Green Energy Fund, an organization on campus that manages approximately $200,000 each year to invest in sustainable initiatives on campus. He is also a voting member of the Capital Improvement Trust Fund, which manages a fluctuating fund to complete large scale projects on the University such as the upcoming renovations to Coquina Club. He is Treasurer of the Environmental Science & Sustainability Club, a Compass Peer Coach, an Orientation Leader, and a Tour Guide.

“I’m [also] the Director of Communications for Student Government,” he continued, “My job entails two main things; interacting with the students and planning events on behalf of Student Government.”

David has conducted the It’s On Us Campaign to raise awareness about sexual assault on college campuses, the Annual Student Government Island Party, the Student Government Meet & Greet, and a number of other events.

“Over the year, my role [in Student Government] has evolved to handle more interaction and communication with other campuses within the system,” he said.

David also expressed why he thought USFSP was the perfect choice for college.

“I wanted to attend a small, personal, and intimate campus. I came here as an invitee of the Honors Program, and after meeting with professors and touring the campus, I knew this was the place for me,” he said.

When asked to share something about himself that he would like people to know, David discussed the impact being a part of a student government had on him in his high school.

“When I joined Student Government in high school, I was surrounded by people who had one mission – to support those around them and the students they represented,” he continued, “From that point; I gained confidence in myself, I was able to trust my abilities, and, in turn, be support to those around me. I want everyone who comes through the Student Government I lead to be a be able to grow in the same way.”

Sean Cornell

Photo Courtesy of Sean Cornell

Sean is a junior and a Finance major here at USFSP. He is an active member of the USF Sailing Team, the Beta Gamma Sigma Honors Society, and the University Honors Program. Originally from New York, he came to USFSP specifically to compete on the nationally-ranked sailing team.

Though Sean is not currently a member of Student Government, he plans to bring an outsider’s perspective in order to bring positive change.

“To me, the Student-Body President is a liaison between the students and the administration. I would like to create an environment for student organizations, programs, and facilities to grow. Bringing Varsity Athletics/Competitive Sports to the USFSP campus is a large part of our platform,” he continued, “I would also like to address the everyday problems students face; such as parking, off-campus housing, and late-night studying. Most importantly, my administration would be one that students could trust and rely on to keep SG efficient.”

Sean is currently studying for his LSAT examinations, as he plans on going to law school after he graduates from USFSP.

“I would like to practice either International Trade Law, Admiralty Law, or Environmental Law,” he said.

HC with care,

Megan Christine Hammer

Megan Hammer is a junior at USFSP and is majoring in Global Business. She loves to travel, write, and listen to music. She is a musician herself, so she enjoys playing with other musicians in her spare time. An Illinois native, she is interested in experiencing different cultures and trying new things. Some places she has traveled to include Monaco, France, Germany, Italy, and England. Megan is constantly on the lookout for her next great adventure. She dreams of joining a volunteer service organization and giving time to communities in South America or Africa. As President & Campus Correspondent, she proudly represents the USFSP Her Campus chapter.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.