USFSP Musicians Club Set to Play Art After Dark Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Here at the University of South Florida in St. Petersburg, we have a unique arts community that surrounds us: The Studio 620 provides a space for visual and performing arts, the Dali Museum is right around the corner, and every Saturday, a market takes place in the morning in which craftsmen and artists come together to showcase and sell their work. From open mic nights to annual music festivals, St. Pete embodies the sound of ambition.

There was just one thing lacking; one thing missing from the vibrance of the campus in the midst of the music world in late August of 2016 – an organization for musicians. Students Eric Yoder and Brendon Porter took action to change that.

Photo Courtesy of the USFSP Musicians Club

“Me and some other students came together, and we realized that no other organization had accommodations for musicians, so we decided to do something about that,” Brendon continued, “I want to take this club as far as possible. We’ve already done some amazing musical things and met some amazing people along the way. The Musicians Club actively searches for ways to give the gift of music to our campus and serve USFSP in any way we can.”

Since the founding of the club, the membership has grown from the grassroots to a full conference room of eager participants. The organization’s popularity among students is no surprise since members frequently lounge around campus, filling the air with tunes that provide some tranquility for their stressed-out classmates.

“We certainly are ambitious, and music education is something we enjoy sharing with each other. Even if we simply talk about a favorite band or artist during one of our meetings, we promote music appreciation in our community. Whenever we play open mics or other events, we push a musical agenda in a positive way. Our collective hope is that the club will eventually change the USFSP community into a more fun and vibrant musical environment,” Brendon said.

Students can catch the Musicians Club every Wednesday night at the Tavern. The organization is also preparing for a big event this semester – the Art After Dark festival, in which they will be performing March 21st from 6:30 to 10 pm.

“All musicians of various talents and interests are welcome! We are a team of music-minded people with expression of self in mind, and we love what we do,” Brendon said about bringing in new members.

Watch the USFSP Musicians Club cover Amy Winehouse’s “Valerie” now:

Find them on Instagram: @usfspmusicians

Find them on Facebook:USFSP Musicians Club

HC with care,

President & CC Megan Christine Hammer

Megan Hammer is a junior at USFSP and is majoring in Global Business. She loves to travel, write, and listen to music. She is a musician herself, so she enjoys playing with other musicians in her spare time. An Illinois native, she is interested in experiencing different cultures and trying new things. Some places she has traveled to include Monaco, France, Germany, Italy, and England. Megan is constantly on the lookout for her next great adventure. She dreams of joining a volunteer service organization and giving time to communities in South America or Africa. As President & Campus Correspondent, she proudly represents the USFSP Her Campus chapter.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.