True Life: I am addicted to festivals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

All photos provided by Alana Long

If someone were to have come up to me a year ago and asked if I would spend over 400 dollars on a four-day music festival, I would’ve said no. Sure, I am a regular concert attendee who loves and plays music, but that’s a lot of money to pay to be consistently sweaty and tired for four days. I decided to take a chance by going to the Okeechobee Music and Arts Festival a few weeks ago and it was easily one of the best experiences of my life.

I was hooked, and from the second I saw hundreds of cars pull into a giant grass field and saw tents popping up all over the place, I knew it. There was something poetic about all these people gathered for the same reason. It was exhilarating to see tens of thousands of people who all loved music the way I did and knew the joy and therapy it brings. I had no idea what was in store for me that weekend.

It was a wonderful weekend full of feel-good music, sun, sand, and great people. Every morning I would wake up, gather my things, and head to the concert area to spend the day lounging on my blanket listening to music. At night, the peaceful oasis was turned into a huge party with strobe lights and trees glowing with lights, as dance music was being pumped through the forest. I could feel the music vibrating in my body as I stood there and soaked in the moment. I will never forget that feeling.

That being said, I won’t stop here. I have officially caught the festival bug and can’t wait to experience another soon.

HCXOXO

Alana Long

Alana is a college Senior with a major in Mass Communications with a concentration in Journalism and Media Studies and a minor in Art History. Alana was born in raised in Southwest Florida, so she adores the water and beach lifestyle. She loves anything to do with fashion and plans to work as a professional fashion writer or PR professional when she gets out of college. Alana looks forward to writing for the University of South Florida St. Petersburg's chapter of Her Campus all four years of her upcoming college career and is currently a Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for her chapter. When she's not running to and from classes, she loves to go online shopping or watching YouTube videos.