Tropical Storm Harvey: How to Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Hurricanes are supposed to be one of the disasters that you can have time to prepare for. Initially considered a tropical depression, Harvey wasn’t a storm to be too concerned about.  However, in under twenty-four hours, he became a category 4 hurricane giving Houston little time to plan. No mandatory evacuation orders were issued for Houston, and flooding was catastrophic, causing many people to battle the rising waters. There was a record-breaking 50+ inches of rain in Houston.

Gif courtesy of Star Tribune

Once the hurricane/tropical storm made its way onto land, it hovered over the state, dumping buckets of never-ending rain over the city. Experts said that “warm water in the Gulf of Mexico intensified the rainfall, and a lack of winds in the upper atmosphere could have steered Harvey away from land” (Friedman & Schwartz, 2017). There was nothing in the atmosphere that was able to stop the storm from touching down, so the rain lingered, causing possibly the worst flooding event in United States history. It finally returned to the gulf, but the tropical storm is coming back for round two.

So far, more than 40 people have died. There have been thousands of rescues, both by emergency dispatchers, private citizens, and the Coast Guard.  Here are some ways that you can help those affected by this destructive storm because every little bit helps.

1. American Red Cross

You can donate here. Some business or celebrities will also match your donations. To make it easier, you can also text “HARVEY” to 90999. The money comes straight out of your phone bill but is also tax-deductible.

2. Salvation Army

You can also donate via your phone to the Salvation Army. Text “STORM” to 51555. You can also donate on their website.

3. Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund

Houston’s mayor is attempting to help victims of this storm, and you can donate to his organization here.

4. United Way of Greater Houston

This organization can help with short-term and long-term relief, and you can donate here by either going to their website or by texting “UWFLOOD” to 41444.

5. Houston Humane Society and San Antonio Humane Society

Pets are also affected by this storm, and you can help by donating to either of these shelters. There is more information on how to donate on their website.

This is a time where we all need to put aside our differences and band together to help those in need.

HC,

Alyssa Harmon

Resources:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/08/29/how-to-donate-to-hurricane-harvey…

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/climate/how-hurricane-harvey-became-s…

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/31/houston-hurricane-storm-harvey-recovery-donald-trump

Alyssa Harmon is a senior at USFSP and is majoring in English Writing Studies and minoring in Mass Communication. For her senior year, she is also working on her thesis project for the Honors College. She is the current senior editor for the USFSP Her Campus chapter, as well as the 2017-2018 president and the 2018-2019 vice president for the Alpha Xi Phi chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. In addition, she is the editor-in-chief of Papercut Literary Journal. Alyssa lived all around the country until 2013 when she and her family moved to Florida. Alyssa has a passion for reading and writing, and she's been doing that since she learned how to. Once she graduates, she wants to hopefully publish a book of some of her poetry and work as a copy editor at a publishing company. When she's not doing homework, you can find her downtown, at the beach, or in a bookstore.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.