Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Soon to be the 101st anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, Bill Edwards brings you “Titanic the Artifact Exhibition”

Whether you are a fan or not of James Cameron’s Titanic, depicting a fictional love story between two young people form different social classes, this exhibit in contrary, portrays only the real side of this lost journey. The exhibition allows it’s visitors to become a part of the ship, with ticket, names and even cabin numbers. Guests receive their own passenger ticket, that reflects the life of a real passenger. At the end of the exhibition, guests find out if their passenger was one of the 750 who survived the sinking, or one of the roughly 1,517 who perished. 

Throughout the exhibition, guests will find real artifacts that have been recovered from the remains. These include first, second and third class dining room plates and silverware, guests’ belongings, silver dollars, clothing, perfume bottles (with perfume still enclosed!) and even letters. A real chunk of ice is also on display in order to put in context to guests, the approximate temperature of the waters that passengers fell into during the sinking. Touching this small ice berg can make things more realistic for the viewer. Not only that, but exhibit workers walk around in costumes of that time period to enhace the guests’ experience. 

Titanic the artifact exhibition is open Monday – Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Sunday 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Mahaffey Theather

Alejandra Vera 

Image Sources

The Mahaffey

http://www.themahaffey.com/sho…

Personal photos.

Vice President of Her Campus at the University of South Florida - St. Petersburg Junior majoring in Mass Communications, with a Minor in Journalism.