Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Three Tips On How To Get The Most Makeup For Your Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Over the past year, I have become really interested in makeup. However, makeup can get really expensive; I think all of our bank accounts will start to shed a tear when we see the price of an Urban Decay Naked palette! All of my life, I have been taught to be smart with money, so I figured that I should try to figure out how to get great makeup deals.

Here’s what I have learned over the past year:

1. Shop Discount Stores and Clearance Sections

My favorite places to buy makeup are, surprisingly, Marshall’s, TJ Maxx, and Bealls Outlet. I know these stores are not normally known for beauty products, but you can find some major treasures! For example, at my local TJ Maxx store, I’ve gotten a Sephora brush set, a Kat Von D lipstick set with matching nail polishes, and a NYX set with a palette and lip glosses, among other products, for ten dollars or less a piece. These stores are also great places to get nail polish (especially OPI and Essie), as the prices can be 50-75% off the original retail price. The blessing and the curse, however, is that none of these discount stores will have the same inventory of products, so you may have to try multiple locations.

When it comes to clearance, the best place to go is Ulta. I’ve gotten quite a few OPI nail polishes and Ulta brand products on clearance for less than $2. Always check the clearance section often, as it is constantly changing. Again, no Ulta will have the same clearance sections, so you may have to try multiple locations

2. Join Rewards Clubs

Joining a brand/store’s rewards club is a great way to save money and get free things. For example, for your birthday, Sephora and Ulta will give you free birthday gifts containing high-end makeup. For my birthday last year, I received an Urban Decay eyeshadow in “Midnight Cowboy” from Ulta, and it has quickly become one of my favorite products ever. On top of birthday gifts, you have the possibility of earning more free gifts or coupons with every purchase you make. You are already spending the money, so why not get rewarded for it?

Recently, I signed up for Urban Decay’s “Beauty Junkie” rewards program. If you love Urban Decay like I do, you will be in for a real treat. You get free shipping on any online orders and exclusive, members-only promotions and early access to new products.

3. Just Because A Brand Is Not High-End Does Not Mean It Is Worthless

Although Urban Decay is my favorite, I cannot always afford it. My second favorite brand is e.l.f. e.l.f. is super cheap, but such higher quality than you would expect. I personally use their face and eye primer, setting spray, and color-correcting/medicated concealer. Target has the best selection of e.l.f. Products, but CVS is starting to get a larger inventory of them too.

New York Color (NYC) is also a favorite of mine. I use their Lovatics Neutral palette ($6.99 at Target) almost everyday, as the multiple colors work great for eyebrows, eye shadow, and even as a highlighter. Their lipsticks and nail polishes are really great too.

Hopefully this can help with your next shopping trips. Because let’s face it (pun intended), one shopping trip for makeup is never enough!

HC xoxo,

Danielle Lysik

Danielle Lysik is a senior at USFSP majoring in Marketing with a minor in Mass Communications. Danielle's main passion in life is music and loves going to concerts whenever possible. Aside from music, Danielle loves to read and spend time with her family and friends. 
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.