This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

“And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you”.

Dear Joshua,

The past year and a half have gone by in the blink of an eye, yet it is filled with dozens of milestones that our relationship has reached and I cannot wait for millions more. As we prepare for our wedding, I am constantly reminded how blessed I am to have you as my future husband. Being that you constantly care for me and aim to keep me happy, sometimes I begin to take it all for granted, which is why I want to say thank you.

Since you’ve come into my life, you have brought so much goodness, fun, and laughter along with you. But it goes so much deeper than that. You have helped me become the best version of myself and that is something I’ll never be able to repay you for. There are so many little things that you have done that I just cannot go any longer without putting it down into writing. This is an ode to you, the man that took his rough hands and helped mold me into the best version of myself.

Thank you for seeing past my facade. I was in a rough spot before we started dating. I had just come out of a terrible relationship and I never thought I would be happy again. I built up a giant, wicked wall constructed out of self-doubt and fear. I was convinced that I did not need a single person in my life other than myself. You saw right through that. You saw someone that was hurting, yet desperately wanted to be loved by you, and you wanted to make sure I knew you would never hurt me. It took you months, but eventually, brick by brick, you took apart that wall, until nothing was standing in the way of you and me.

Thank you for your patience. I am not an easy person to love sometimes, I can admit that. I’m anxious and stubborn and always have to get the last word. I have days where I think my whole world is ending because work or school just isn’t going right. There are other days that I feel like I am invincible and nothing can touch me. Thank you for being there and going through these ups and downs with me. Not only do you go through them with me, but you talk me through it, and you don’t stop until I am okay again. I can’t believe I get to marry someone who not only understands my moods and my anxiousness but who wouldn’t want me any other way.

Thank you for spoiling me. It is way more than material things. Random flower deliveries and small surprise gifts are exciting and don’t get me wrong, every girl loves them. But there are quite a few more ways that you spoil me that I am so thankful for. You never fail to make me feel beautiful, even in my worst states. You constantly profess your love for me and all of the reasons behind it all while covering me with kisses. From washing my car to rubbing my back until I fall asleep, I am grateful for all that you do. My favorite thing about you is when we argue, you always make sure we talk it out. I am usually one to walk away from problems and brush them off, but you make sure we discuss what is going on until figure it out and are okay again. You fight for me and for that I am so grateful.

Thank you for being my best friend. You have the ability to understand every facial expression of mine without me having to say a word. You constantly remind me to put my best foot forward and are always cheering me on. You are the first person I always want to be a part of my plans and you are the first person I think of when I have news to share. I can always count on you to be there for me, not just during the easy times, but especially during the rough ones. I love that our dates never have to be some extravagant ordeal, just simply being in the presence of each other is enough. Our walks on the beach, sushi dates, Netflix binges, or our trips to the pet store to play with puppies– I would not trade it for anything else. I can’t help but smile when I think about the fact that I get to spend the rest of my life loving you.

Thank you, my love. Thank you for all that you do for me, and for us. All of the time and effort you have put into helping me become the best version of me, I am so thankful for. You have truly outdone yourself in every way, and I count not ask for a better person to call my future husband.

Love always,

April

April Carter is a Junior at USFSP studying education with a minor in American Lit studies. She is a peer coach on campus, a member of Sigma Tau Delta and Papercut Literary Journal, and a personal trainer. April has a strong passion for writing, reading and all things health and wellness. In her free time, you can usually find her reading, writing, or working out.