Taking Classes in the Summer?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Taking Classes in the Summer?

Summer vacation is just around the corner. But for some this doesn’t mean day long visits to the beach, cross country road trips, or week long cruises. This means a summer filled with classes, working, and internships. Registration for summer and fall classes is quickly approaching. It begins on March 24th for degree seeking students. Priority registration is applied for seniors with additional grade levels following in suit (may vary based on circumstances). So for those with these plans in mind, here are four simple steps to help you get things in order.

1. Make an appointment with an advisor.

Choosing classes for the summer and fall semesters can be a bit challenging. This process can be made easier with the help and guidance of an advisor. As many already know. These professionals are available to assist students with staying on track. They can answer questions of all kinds. Such as, what classes are available during these semesters that coincide with your major? Or, are there any holds keeping me from registering for classes? Appointments can be made in the university website on the by searching advising appointment. Select usfsp students, type in your U number and make an appointment. Once you have met with your advisor you should be ready for the next step.

2. Visit Oasis

After deciding what classes you are able to take (required for your major) visit Oasis. As many know registration can be done on the university website on the MyUSF link. Once logged-in select the My Resources page, followed by Oasis, Student, Registration, and Class Schedule Research. Here you can search for the classes you are interested in taking. After you find a course that you think is right for you copy the CRN number and paste it on the in the appropriate space on the Register, Add or Drop Classes link. Once you are done picking all of your desired classes click submit. Next you may be thinking about the cost of it all.

3. Visit the Financial Aid Office

The best people to talk to about education cost are the well informed workers in the Financial Aid Office. Located in Bayboro 105. Hours 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Mon.-Fri. They can assess your personal situation, letting you know what resources are available to help you pay for your education. If you have any questions beforehand you can call (727) 873-4128. Looking for more to do this summer/fall?

4. Visit the Career Center

If you are looking for more to do this summer/ fall in addition to taking classes. The Career Center is a great place to begin your search. Located in the Student Life Center (SLC) 2300. Hours 12 p.m.-5 p.m., Mon.-Thurs., 9:00 a.m.-12: 00 p.m. Fri. This is the perfect place to get information if you are looking for part-time, full-time work and internships. They are equipped with all the the best tools from improving your resume as well as contacting employers. For any additional questions contact them at (727) 873-4129.

Now you have all the information needed to prepare for the summer and fall semesters. All this information is on the university’s website, www.usfsp.edu. So get going and don’t forget to soak up the sun.

Bryana Perkins is a Mass Communications Major at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. She is originally from Philadelphia, PA., but has been living in Florida for ten years. Perkins will soon graduate and hopes to use her writing skills to work for a non-profit organization. She enjoys sports, outdoor activities, arts and crafts, and spending time with her family and friends. Her favorite topics to write about are people and community. Perkins hopes her desire to write will impact people's lives in a positive.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.