Life > Experiences

Sunshine Kitty Catfe: The Cat-Lover’s Promised Land 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

As the sun rises,  I feel an empty space in my lap. Since moving to campus, I miss my furry friend back home. My dog, Daisy, always made me feel relaxed when she would snuggle with me in the morning.  A daily reassurance that everything would be fine. Now, I cannot always have those early mornings with her curled up in my lap.  

So, I went to fill that space with cats.  

Cats. The fickle little things. Not only are they meme-able, but they are also majestic and unpredictable. In many cultures, they are worshipped, and they are revered. I am enamored by their elegant grace, yet I have no cat to call my own. I ventured to find somewhere I could observe their mysterious ways, but alas, I thought it was just a dream. Since I didn’t know any people with cats, I felt that my search for a furry companion had been halted. Luckily, it came to me in a prophecy that I must venture to the Sunshine Kitty Catfé, the promised land of cat lovers of sunshine Florida. 

To put it realistically, I heard from a passerby that cat cafes do exist outside of Japan. I was ecstatic and my quest was just beginning. My shoujo manga dreams are finally coming true; now I can go on cute dates and fall in love with charming strangers. I can have a relaxing mental break surrounded by cute animals, the perfect combo. It was then that I made it my mission to visit the Sunshine Kitty Catfé, here in St. Pete, FL. Then, I took time to make my preparations before entering the café, which really means booking a time. 

For this café, online reservations are required before entering. The cats need to know their humans are coming so they don’t become overwhelmed. Most of these cats need some time to get to know you before they are comfortable.  Each booking spot is $17 per person with a maximum party of 8 people. However, if you decide to go solo, other people can book for the same appointment time, and you can all swoon over the cats’ adorable faces together.  

A cat popping out of a foldable tunnel.
Photo by Chloe Duncan

The confirmation email is important for the experience to go as planned. It lists some house rules for the café. Most of the rules are common sense, but it helps prevent problems later in your stay.  

1. Come earlier to check in so you can navigate traffic and get all your cat time.  
  1. Do not pick up the kitties. They can be skittish little fellas and some of them are not used to it. Don’t spook the babies! 
  1. Never disrupt them from their slumber. You would want the same thing! Leave the kitties to get their beauty rest.  
  1. Keep your paws covered with socks or tights before you enter the catfe. They do offer socks for purchase at the door, but this is to prevent any dirt from entering the sacred space. The owner also cleans between bookings to make sure your feet and the kitties are healthy. 
  1. Please do not be too loud or rough with the kitties. You would not want someone to grab you unexpectedly. Be gentle with the little angels. 

The café has this calming cottage core atmosphere with modern twists. It helps fill the space with a warm cozy feeling. The space is also wide, comfortable and has more than enough room for kitties to play, and for you to play with them.  The wide windows and the cat toys sprawled across the floor make it feel more natural and approachable. There are hanging plants, murals, shelves and hexagonal boxes all contributing to a perfect habitat for the cats to explore in. It has many options to sit comfortably and watch the cats roam around the cafe.  

The food. The menu is limited, but that is the nature of it being a café. I mean, you wouldn’t want your new cat BFF to betray you by stealing your food. However, they have many different brews of coffee and teas; hot & cold. They also have hot chocolate, chocolate milk, and other drinks if you are not up for caffeine.  

I tried one of their specials called the “Meowsala Chai Latte” and it was delicious. It had a complex flavor of brown sugar and milk to complement the tea, forming a great sweet treat. It helped me feel calm as I listened to soft rock in the room. The couches were so comfy that even the cats jumped up to lay on the pillows. The mission was complete, I was finally sipping on my warm chai latte and petting the little angels. 

Finally, the best part. They are all adoptable! Most of these kitties were foster cats, strays, or abandoned by their owners. All of the cats come from non-profit volunteer rescue groups such as CJPaws Inc. and Skyway Cats. The café acts as a way for the kitties to socialize and find their forever home. They can play, sleep, and eat until they are adopted. Most of the proceeds go to feeding, watering, cleaning, and keeping them safe. They now have helped over 178 cats find their families! 

The Sunshine Kitty Catfe has a sleeping cat curled up at sunset.
Photo by Chloe Duncan

It is a must-see in St. Petersburg. I highly recommend coming here if you need to relax with your busy schedule. It is a little hard to find, but it is an unexpected gem hidden in the city. 

Sunshine Kitty CatfeSunshine Kitty Catfe 

Email: meowskc@gmail.com 

Facebook: Sunshine Kitty Catfe (https://www.facebook.com/sunshinekittycatfe

Instagram: sunshinekitty_catfe (https://www.instagram.com/sunshinekitty_catfe/ )              

Website: https://www.sunshinekittycatfe.com/  

Chloe Duncan is a writer and undergraduate at University of South Florida at St. Petersburg. She is passionate about service work and artistic media. She is an artistic dork who probably should go outside more in sunny Florida. In the meantime, she will continue to write about non-profits and some unique artistic experiences.