This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Summer is an important season for the average college student, as some take time off the lectures and notes, others double their reading in a crash course of two months. But in this political climate, there was nothing more important than voicing our reclaimed power of the people.

June 2018 Camp Power

How do we reclaim our power? We need people, and the youth of Florida are tired of being put to the side to let the grown-ups handle politics. This is why the youth from all over Florida came together in Miami to learn about their power.

They learned the importance of their words and their voice being heard. They learned the importance of their vote and what it could mean if we all work together to bring others to vote. Most importantly, they learned that in this fight for equality and justice, they are not alone no matter what part of Florida they call home.

There was no greater experience than voices of power shouting through the doors and giving hope for many of us. Hope that freedom is possible because we are not the only ones fighting for it.

July 2018 Power to the People

This was the month when we let our voices be heard.

We went to multiple locations protesting, and I still remembered the fear that we had to scream our lungs out as if it were our power. It was fear of entering these rooms that were filled with hate, especially hate for us.

This was new for many of us, but we knew from videos we had seen that many of these people were known for using violence, and it terrified many of us. We had finally come face to face with our rivals. The people who will continue to drive our people to the ground.

But there was no better adrenaline rush, no better power than knowing that when our voices shouted through those crowds, they were afraid of us. They were afraid of us knowing we can make a difference and that it is not by mocking the other side, telling lies, or using violence but simply by uniting together as a group shouting “we will not back down.”

Though summer has come to an end, it does not mean the people are going to stop proclaiming their power. Florida elections are right around the corner, fewer than 68 days making now more important than ever to voice our strength to our community.

Remember to vote Nov. 6, 2018!

HC,

Julissa

Julissa Reynel graduated from Hillsborough Community College with her A.A. She is currently in the pre-graphic design program at University of South Florida St. Petersburg, and hopes to use her design for social justice movements. On her free time she enjoys conversations with her dog and buying bundles of fabric.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.