Spring Break in Alaska?!?! A travel guide for Fairbanks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

The average spring break consists of sun, sand, and relaxation, but I did not have a typical spring break. For 8 days I spent my time all around Fairbanks Alaska with my boyfriend Jake, and Jeff and Katy (Jakes brother and sister-in-law).

Fairbanks is the second largest populated city in Alaska (behind Anchorage), so there was a LOT to see and do. Below is everything to do in Alaska if you ever find yourself there during the end of winter:

Visit The North Pole: North Pole is an actual town in Alaska and there is a giant Santa Claus as well as real reindeer. Among Santa and his reindeer, visitors can stop by Santa Claus’s House (AKA a gift shop), and walk through the hand crafted ice sculptures.

Play in the snow: There was no way Jake and I were going to travel all the way from Florida to Alaska and not play in the snow. The snow when we got there was the perfect type of snow to make snowballs (just don’t throw them when tubing or you will get yelled at). Jake’s brother Jeff even bought a snow machine (that’s what they call snowmobiles up in Alaska) for all four of us to play with.

Take your picture outside of the Alaskan Pipeline: It really just is a big pipe. There isn’t much else to do besides look at it and get your picture, so that’s exactly what we did!

Visit Chena Hot Springs: Chena offers more than just a hot spring. While we were there we also went to an ice museum that had a bar in it made entirely of ice, and we also hiked up one of the mountain side trails. Even though it was below freezing there, when you get in the hot spring (and out) it doesn’t even feel cold outside.SEE THE NORTHERN LIGHTS: Jeff and Katy have been living in Alaska since November and the week we were there they said was the BEST they have seen the lights. They were so amazing that Jeff upgraded his phone to have better quality pictures and videos. Seeing the northern lights is something I didn’t think I’d ever be able to see, but now it’s crossed off of my bucket list.

Go to the Museum of the North: In Alaska we were able to go to the nothern most museum, located in the University of Alaska Fairbanks. This museum had a strange mix of both animals and art.

Go to Denali National Park: Even though it was winter and some of the trails were closed off to the public, we were still able to access some of the park and still see Denali. We also saw a glacier in Denali too! Plus during our stay in Alaska we were able to see moose and an artic hare.

Watch some races: While in Alaska, we were able to see two races. We saw dog sledding and then we saw a vintage snow machine race. The dogs were a lot smaller than I origanally thought, but it was an amazing experience to see.

Alaska was the most rewarding vacation I have ever been on. It was such an amazing experience that everyone should take if the opportunity is ever presented to them. Our trip wouldn’t have been possible without my boyfriends brother and sister-in-law. Thank you Jeff and Katy for being amazing hosts and tour guides! The trip wouldn’t be the same without these wonderful people!

P.S. The northern most Denny’s is also in Fairbanks, but that was no sight to see.

Ashley is currently a Junior at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg, where she is majoring in Mass Communications and minoring in Entrepreneurship.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.