This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Even though I have a concentration in Writing Studies instead of Literary Studies for my English degree, I still love a good book. I have about three hundred of my own, hoping one day to have my own library. So I’m going to write about five of my favorite books (I had to limit myself) that I definitely recommend for others to read.

1. Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

I started this list off with this book because this is probably my favorite book. As a bookworm, it’s really hard for me to just commit to one favorite, but I read this series and fell in love with it. Flowers in the Attic is just the first of a six-book series. The story focuses on t four children whose father dies, and their mother doesn’t have enough money to support them. Therefore, the mother moves back in with the children’s grandparents, but there is one catch. There is a lot of drama and history between the mother and her parents, and she was banned and cut off when she ran away with her husband. Her father is old and dying, and her mother forces her to lock her children away in the attic until the father dies. They aren’t given a date for when this horror story is going to be over, and they end up there for years and years. One thing I love about these books is that there are so many surprising plot twists and drama that you would never, ever expect or find in another book. I won’t spoil it for you. There are five more books after this, and each book just gets more and more interesting, revealing shocking information.

2. What Comes Next by John Katzenbach

I’m going to start off by saying that John Katzenbach is an amazing writer. He knows how to keep the reader on the edge of their seat, staying up way past their bedtime just constantly flipping pages. There is no good place to stop; each sentence makes the reader want to read the next one. This book is the story about a young teenage girl who is kidnapped by a couple who exploit her and torture her to post it online for paying viewers. The only person who witnessed her kidnapping is an elderly man with a rare degenerative disease that is causing him to lose his memory. He has to recall different details about her kidnapping in order to find her, but it’s difficult because he keeps forgetting different pieces to the puzzle. This book is an original type of thriller, and John Katzenbach definitely knows how to keep everyone interested. If you’re interested in these types of books and his writing, Katzenbach also writes an amazing novel called Red 1-2-3.

3.  The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Even though I’ll read anything, cliche romance novels are not my first choice. This is a romantic book, but it’s not like every other book out there. This one is a different love story and really is beautiful. This story is about an older professor who specializes in genetics. He conducts different kinds of social experiments, and his latest one is the Wife Project. His purpose is to find the perfect wife by having them fill out a questionnaire. But then he runs into a woman who is running her own social project; she’s trying to track down her biological father. When first meeting her, he doesn’t see her as a potential wife. But as their friendship progresses, they eventually find something out about themselves. This isn’t just a love story; it’s about a stranger changing a man’s perspective on love and life. If you love this book, there is also a sequel (The Rosie Effect) continuing their story.

4.  Whiskey, Words and a Shovel by R.H. Sin

This is a poetry book, for those of you who love it. Poetry is currently my favorite thing to read, so choosing which book out of all of them to talk about was extremely difficult. But I feel as if this book will be more relatable for people who may not read poetry all the time. This book was written by a budding poet, and he talks mainly about love and heartbreak in the book. His books are different because they are very empowering towards women. He writes words that can help women feel better after a breakup or a cheating boyfriend. After reading this short but powerful book, I guarantee that you will feel a lot better and less alone. It’s a book I think every young woman should read.

5. The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

This is an older book, but one of the classics. It’s not Hawthorne’s most famous book, but it’s my favorite. I read this in my senior year of high school, but it’s still one of the classics I love and own. Even though it has an older language and style, in my opinion it’s a little easier to follow than most older classics. It’s the story about an old house, which is apparently haunted by the ancestors that lived in it before. There are many deep themes present in the book: greed, treachery and murder.  There is a curse placed on the house’s inhabitants and all of their descendants. This book is also rich with similes, metaphors, and connecting themes. It’s an intelligently written book while still having an intriguing plot.

These are just a few of my favorites; what are some of yours?

HC xoxo,

Alyssa Harmon

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_in_the_Attic

https://www.amazon.com/What-Comes-Next-John-Katzenbach/dp/080212125X

http://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Rosie-Project/Graeme-Simsion/9781476729091

https://www.amazon.com/Whiskey-Words-Shovel-R-Sin/dp/1682410188

https://www.amazon.com/House-Seven-Gables-Nathaniel-Hawthorne/dp/1505853133

http://www.listchallenges.com/lists/books/popular 

Alyssa Harmon is a senior at USFSP and is majoring in English Writing Studies and minoring in Mass Communication. For her senior year, she is also working on her thesis project for the Honors College. She is the current senior editor for the USFSP Her Campus chapter, as well as the 2017-2018 president and the 2018-2019 vice president for the Alpha Xi Phi chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. In addition, she is the editor-in-chief of Papercut Literary Journal. Alyssa lived all around the country until 2013 when she and her family moved to Florida. Alyssa has a passion for reading and writing, and she's been doing that since she learned how to. Once she graduates, she wants to hopefully publish a book of some of her poetry and work as a copy editor at a publishing company. When she's not doing homework, you can find her downtown, at the beach, or in a bookstore.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.