This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

It’s the middle of the spring semester and you’re already thinking about spring break. Your professors have started to pile on the work and you’re trying your best to not drown in your assignments. You may think that the best approach is to get through the work as fast as possible with minimum breaks, but I assure you that it is not.

If you continue to overwork yourself, you will undoubtedly suffer a nervous breakdown which will result in a slow, agonizing, perilous death. Okay, so that won’t really happen, but you’ll become burnt out and will lack motivation which is essentially the same thing as far as your grades are concerned.

Paradoxically, the best way to avoid throwing in the towel may be to take a break from your studies. Below are tips to help rejuvenate your mind and rekindle your motivation.

1. Appreciate yourself

Turn on a nice, hot bath and throw in the new Lush bath bomb you just purchased. By laying and soaking in the water, you are telling your body that it is okay to relax. Another great way to show yourself appreciation is pampering yourself by going for a mani and pedi. If you’re on a tight budget, you can still participate in this activity by giving yourself one while jamming to your favorite tunes.

2. Get fresh air

Staring at your notes or computer screen all day may have you feeling a little deprived of life. Being trapped inside isn’t healthy for your mind or body and often leads to stress and anxiety. Get outside and go for a stroll around the neighborhood or go to a park or nature preserve, like Sawgrass Lake or Seminole Lake. Nature is the best therapy and it’s free.

3. Take a nap

If you’ve been overworking, you’ll find yourself becoming more and more tired. This is a great time to take a break and catch up on sleep. Your body will thank you for it and you’ll wake up refreshed and ready to take on the rest of the day’s workload.

4. Meditate

The stress of your assignments may have gotten to your head. This is a perfect time to meditate to clear your mind. Go into a quiet room and remove yourself from all distractions. Breathe and try to focus on the rhythms of your breath. Once you’re able to clear your mind, you will feel less stressed and more at ease. This will allow your body to detox all of the negative thoughts and energy you may have been feeling.

5. Get re-motivated

Now that you’ve taken the necessary steps in order to give your mind and body a break, it is time to get re-motivated. School can be overwhelming and it is easy to forget or lose your passion. What made you choose your major? Try to go back to these roots. Talk to someone that shares the same interests with you, watch a play that provokes you, whatever you do, make sure that it reignites that flame and leaves you feeling inspired.

These activities will help you become refocused in your academics and remind you that you can get through this.

Don’t lose hope now, you’re almost there!

Jenna Kippert

Photo Resource:

http://www.ethos3.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/relax-before-you-presen…

Jenna Kippert is a Junior at USFSP. Her major is in English with a concentration in Writing Studies. Creative writing is her niche and she enjoys writing fictional short stories in her spare time. Her stories often consist of shady characters and plot twists. Jenna also enjoys cooking, binge watching New Girl on Netflix, going on nature walks, and watching videos of makeup gurus on Youtube. Beauty is an important aspect to her and she loves playing with makeup and hair. She is a true born and raised Floridian, who whips out her sweater when the temperature drops below 80 degrees. After she graduates, she'd like to travel. Her dream destination is Hawaii, where she can soak up the sun's rays and swim with dolphins.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.