This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Music has such a huge importance in my life. It puts everything I have been thinking and feeling into words that I could never articulate on my own.  It allows me to fall deep into my feelings, with the lyrics speaking every truth that I sometimes find hard to accept. Who knew there would be so much power behind pressing play and listening to a song that will instantly change your mood.

It’s crazy to think how when I was younger, I would only listen to the music that my mom played on the way to school or the grocery store. Now I listen to music everyday – in the mornings when I get ready, when I am just hanging around trying to kill time, while I work, and sometimes when I study.

Something that I love so much about Spotify is their Daily Mixes. Spotify will gather a bunch of artists that have similar sounds, and put together an entire playlist for you. It will usually consist of artists whose songs you probably already jam out to, but they also include new artists that fit the same style. This is great because I have a bad habit of just sticking to what i know and not venturing off into new music artists, but now Spotify can just do it for me. I even like to make my own playlists based off moods and situations that I am in. I have realized that it tends to just happen naturally for me. I will be in the passenger seat of the car with the wind blowing in my face, listening to the music playing while piecing together other songs that could fit the same tempo. Next thing I know I have a whole playlist formed, perfect for a trip to the beach with the windows down and the smell of salt water engulfing the air.

I am the type to really appreciate the song for it’s lyrics. Yeah the beat might be groovy or “lit,” but it’s all about the story that’s behind it all. I absolutely love it when people talk about their struggles and accomplishments through life in their music because it gives you a greater sense of who they truly are. The occasional disses that artists have between each other is also pretty nice sometimes because who doesn’t love a little shade?

Music is honestly just so powerful for all that it can convey and help you to express about yourself. Whether you write music, sing, or just listen to it, I feel as though that music is an experience with something to always gain from. It’s something that will always be there, offering so much  for every person in any situation that life may throw at you.  Musicians spend their lives writing and producing music for the world, and some don’t even know just how much that truly means to people.

HCXOXO,

Shayla Fajardo

Shayla Fajardo is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg who is majoring in Biology. She enjoys eating unhealthy amounts of pizza, hanging out with friends, binge watching Netflix shows, and attending concerts. A goal of hers has always been to be more involved on campus, so she made sure to actively be involved in three clubs at USFSP- Her Campus, Multicultural Activities Council, and Harborside Activities Board. Shayla's ultimate life goal is to one day become a marine biologist who can travel the world and make a difference.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.