This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

In Amendment One of the Bill of Rights it clearly states that all citizens are able to practice a specific Religion freely. Many citizens do practice without restriction, and are free of criticism, most of the time.  Religion is a way of believing in something greater than humanity. But, there are many people who just out right do not believe in any Religion whatsoever. I am that person, I do not believe in God. Does that make me a bad person? To many people yes it does, because believing in God is such a widely accepted idea that when they encounter someone who doesn’t believe in the same thing they feel the need to say something. So, when it is shown that you do not agree, then you are perceived as a danger to yourself or others.  

When asked if I believed in a greater being, I would never lie, because I have nothing to be ashamed of. I would simply say “No, but I respect what you believe”. I do respect all Religions, if believing in God helps you understand life or helps you feel better about the world we live in, then who am I to judge? The same should go for all Religious people who encounter an Atheist or Agnostic should take it as what it is and respect them. I have been told time and time again “I’ll pray for you”, If that’s what will make you feel better than I won’t stop you because I don’t want someone to feel bad based on what they believe in. My beliefs will not send me to hell, because if God is really that Godly he will look at me as a person and not my faith. I for one, would never tell someone that they are wrong because they didn’t believe in the same thing I believed, we have freedom of Religion and if you’re not hurting me I don’t care what you worship. 

I have a reason for being an Atheist, just like those around me have a reason for being a Christian. I don’t question them though, it’s none of my business. People could have had a tragic life experience to put them in a situation where they needed a light, and God to them was their light. It’s a beautiful way of looking at the world, to always know someone is looking after you and that all things happen for a reason based on their fate. I grew up in a very open-minded household, my parents let me choose if I wanted to go to church. I was given the option at a young age and I took it into stride. 

I will never ever judge someone based on what they believe, I welcome others into friendships based on them as a person and what they represent. But those who are critical when it comes to Religion have no right to be, there are so many other things that you should be looking at. Believing in God is a right all people are given, but not believing at anything at all is also their God given right. 

I'm a Freshman at University of South Florida St. Petersburg, and I'm a Journalist major. Writing is my passion and I love to hear and share thoughts that many people can relate with!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.