This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

“We met on Tinder.”

A phrase that has become the new norm in this new era of dating. It seems that everyone is meeting their S.O. on the internet these days. Bumble even has a new networking option where you can meet business connections. But we’re not here to talk about that. We are here, ladies and gentlemen, to talk about my experience with this whole online dating phenomenon.

Have I met the love of my life online? A big fat no! I am definitely single and have been for the past 21 years.

In my most humble opinion, everyone on the app is either, pardon me for saying this, ugly or a fuckboy. The few decent people you meet on the app come every once in a blue moon. Even then I’m the kind of person who has never taken Tinder seriously so when the conversation starts shifting to “we should meet,” I immediately ghost or slowly start weeding myself out. I’m just too paranoid that I’ll be the tragic news story of the girl who got kidnapped, sexually assaulted, or murdered for meeting up with a stranger.

Anyone remember the days of Tinder social? You could create a group with your friends and swipe on other groups in your area. During my junior year of college, I was housed with all freshman, and we all decided to try Tinder social together. Long story short, we did meet a group of guys who we met up with and even tried meeting up with a second time, but it just didn’t work out, and the communication eventually stopped.

Since then, I have been off Tinder, on Tinder, “muted” my account, and deleted it all together. This past summer though, I recreated an account, and it’s still the same. Left swipe after left swipe.

I did superlike one guy from my area who I swear is the love of my life, but communication was brief, and I just follow him on social media now hoping that one day our paths will cross again. *wastes 11:11 wish on such a trivial situation*

The one good thing I will say that has come from Tinder is my social media following on Instagram has gained quite the momentum. I may even become Instagram famous soon. Move aside, Emma Chamberlain! *She said sarcastically* So I definitely recommend linking your Instagram account, ladies and gents!

Will I continue to use the dating app? Probably, it’s fun to see who is on there, and it is an easy way to kill time. Will I ever take it seriously? Probably not. For me, I never really want to add “we met on Tinder” to the family dinner conversation. Let alone explain what the app is to my mother. No, thank you.

Oh! And don’t even get me started on TinderU. Tinder! If the big wigs behind your app are reading this, fact check the school emails because the one for my school is definitely wrong, and we can’t even access your new feature.

Online dating may be the new norm, but I’ll just stick to the old fashion way of dating: liking my crushes instagram post and hoping he gets the message.

HCXOXO,

Vanessa

Hey, I'm Vanessa! Im a senior at USFSP majoring in Mass Communications. I hope you enjoy my writing that will be about literally anything and everything. My goal after college is to find a career in the entertainment or music industry. To make that happen, I'm currently planning a big move from sunny Florida to sunny California! Follow me on my journey through my writing, enjoy!