My Thoughts On 97x Next Big Thing 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Every year 97x hosts an alternative rock music festival called Next Big Thing. This music festival brings about 20 different bands together for a full day of music, a variety of vendors giving away free stuff, and yummy food. However, this year it was a bit different.

For the first time ever, 97x made Next Big Thing into a two day music festival. Day One was held Saturday, December 2nd with performances from The Aces, Arkells, Magic Giant, X Ambassadors, and The Lumineers (the headliner). The music this day displayed more of the mellow side of alternative rock, with a splash of folk rock. I unfortunately didn’t get to see The Aces perform but I did make it for Arkells, a band I didn’t know too much about before going but really enjoyed seeing. Seeing this band perform for the first time made me realize why I love 97xNBT so much – they always introduce me to the best artists.

At Next Big Thing two years ago is when I first heard about X Ambassadors and I fell in love with them. They are one of the few bands that I would see a billion times live any chance I get, so hearing about them coming back to Next Big Thing this year had me even more pumped about going. One of my favorite songs of theirs is Unsteady. Sam Harris, the lead singer, has such a beautiful voice and it especially shows in this song. The minute it came on, everyone in the audience locked arms with friends and strangers, singing along and swaying to the pretty melodies. This made listening to the song live that much more of a beautiful experience.

Photo Courtesy of 97x

When it was time for The Lumineers to perform I jumped up and down, super excited like a little kid going to Disney World for the first time ever. I had never seen them before but I have been wanting to for the longest time! They too sounded exactly the same, if not better, than they do in the studio. I love all of their songs but there was one in particular that I am OBSESSED with called Slow It Down. I didn’t think they were going to perform it but when they did, I melted. I put my hand to my chest as I slowly started to tear up. It was honestly the most emotional performance that I have ever seen and I will cherish that moment forever.

Day Two was held the next day and it was the big one. Performances were on two different stages, with bands performing one after the other. The lineup included Vinyl Theatre, Barns Courtney, Mondo Cozmo, Joywave, Misterwives, Saint Motel, Andrew McMahon In The Wilderness, Bleachers, Portugal. The Man, Vance Joy, Walk The Moon, and Paramore (the headliner).

Misterwives was super fun and I loved the neon and geometric clothing. Not to mention, the guys of the band are super cute. The lead singer of Saint Motel jumped off the stage, went through the pit and general admission area, into the lawn, and started a huge dance party. I lost a couple french fries from running with the crowd of people chasing him but it was totally worth it.

Andrew McMahon In The Wilderness was great and I jammed pretty hard to Cecilia And The Satellite. Andrew is so cool, like who crowd surfs on a sunglass-wearing rubber duckie floatie?

Photo Courtesy of 97x

Bleachers had such a fun performance and really got the crowd pumped! Everyone was shouting out the lyrics to every song while jumping up and down like crazy. At one point, Jack actually had strangers sitting on the shoulders of each other while singing along, it was great to watch.

Walk The Moon turned the whole amphitheater into one huge dance party that everyone got up out of their seats for. They came with a more edgy vibe but they were still very enjoyable.

Vance Joy. Vance FREAKING Joy is a literal angel. He’s another artist that I have been DYING to see live. He stood there in his white t-shirt, serenading the crowd with his favorites including Riptide, a crowd favorite. Standing there, soaking in all of his great music and realizing that my dreams of seeing him live finally came true put the biggest smile on my face. It was also his birthday a couple days prior to the event, so the whole crowd sang to him as 97x presented him with a guitar shaped cake. All I gotta say is, if he’s 30 I’m 30…

Photo Courtesy of 97x

Portugal. The Man was definitely the biggest surprise to me performance-wise. I will admit that I was that person that only knew them for Feel It Still, so hearing them perform hardcore rock with the electric guitar had me shook. Some of their songs dragged for a bit but I still loved every minute of it.

Last but not least, Paramore (a.k.a my favorite childhood band). This was my second time seeing them live and they did not disappoint! They have such amazing stage presence with Hayley running back and forth, kicking her feet in the air and just having the time of her life. Paramore played a little bit of their new stuff and a whole lot of their old jams that just spoke to the 5th grade me that would jam out every morning to them before heading to school. As tradition, Hayley will pick someone from the crowd to sing a verse of Misery Business with her and the band on stage. Seeing the boy that was picked rock out with Paramore made me happy and slightly jealous of him! They seem like such genuine people that are out of this world talented.

Photo Courtesy of 97x

Music is my life and if you are a huge fan of alternative rock like I am, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you attend 97x Next Big Thing at least once in your life! It will be an experience that you will never forget!

HCXOXO,

Shayla Fajardo

Shayla Fajardo is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg who is majoring in Biology. She enjoys eating unhealthy amounts of pizza, hanging out with friends, binge watching Netflix shows, and attending concerts. A goal of hers has always been to be more involved on campus, so she made sure to actively be involved in three clubs at USFSP- Her Campus, Multicultural Activities Council, and Harborside Activities Board. Shayla's ultimate life goal is to one day become a marine biologist who can travel the world and make a difference.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.