My First Tampa Bay Lightning Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

This may come as a surprise to some people, but I am not much of a sports fan. Growing up surrounded by brothers, I was around sports by default. Not to say that I don’t understand various sports or that they aren’t fun in the moment; it is just never an activity I elect to watch in my own free time. Until…

I randomly stumbled upon a contest on Facebook that asked people to guess the amount of Chick-fil-A mints that was on a tray. The lucky winner who guessed the right number would get 4 tickets to a Tampa Bay Lightning game and get to ride the Zamboni during intermission.

With Ice Princess being one of favorite movies growing up, I was THRILLED to not only see a Zamboni in person, but also get to ride on one.

I suppose luck was on my side that day because a few days later, Chick-fil-A messaged me letting me know that I was the winner. I was genuinely surprised by this message because I never win anything, anything. Think of the most unlucky person you know and then multiply that by 10, and you have me. I guess everyone deserves to win something.

I frequent Amalie Arena because of my affinity for attending concerts, but this time I was attending to witness my very first hockey game which was a completely different experience. Walking down into the stands and feeling the chill of the ice against my face was pretty cool, literally. Our seats were closer than I could have ever hoped for. We were rows away from being on the ice.

I knew hockey was  a relatively dangerous sport, but it was confirmed for me when the players were shoved against the barricade trying to score the puck back. There was actually almost a fight that broke out, but sadly the referees did not allow it to fully happen.

Eight minutes before the first intermission, my roommates and I headed to a predetermined meet up spot for our Zamboni experience. We met up with a representative from the arena that led us to a backstage area. That was one of the most interesting parts. To see the inner workings of something you otherwise would have no idea about is very interesting.

Riding on the Zamboni and waving to everyone had to be one of my favorite experiences. It was the closest I have ever come to feeling like a celebrity, and I have to say, I loved it. Some people can attend hockey games religiously and never have the opportunity to be in the game, see the backstage process, get to be around the dancers, and I got the opportunity my very first game. I am beyond grateful for that.

I was actually really into the game itself. It was exciting to be around all the energy in the arena during such an important game. I like to think my roommates and I were good luck charms because we ended up winning the game against the Bruins.

Thank you again to Chick-fil-A for giving me one of the best nights with my roommates! You made a hockey fan out of me!

HCXOXO,

Imani Taylor

Hi! My name is Imani and I am a 21 year old Mass Communications major living in sunny Florida. I love traveling, listening to music and you, know, occasionally writing.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.