My First Experience Going Out on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

I am 22-years-old and last night was my first time going out for Halloween. It is shocking to admit, especially since this is my last undergrad Halloween EVER. But hold on before the judgement ensues, I have my reasonings.

Growing up in a fairly religious and overprotective household, my mom was always “iffy” on celebrating Halloween. One minute I was allowed to go around my neighborhood and collect the assortments of chocolates and sour candies and then the next, it was seemingly forbidden.

Segueing to high school where most crazy teen years start, I found myself in a friend group who would rather stay in and watch movies or test our luck at trick-or-treating in hopes of scoring the free candy with the children in my best friends neighborhood. Let me just say, trick-or-treating at sixteen is quite interesting, I have to say.

I stayed local to my hometown for my first two years of college, so living at home and being under twenty one was pretty limiting to what I could do. Bars were out of the question, and that friend group I mentioned? Yeah the opposite of party people.

And then USFSP happened. I have befriended a group of people who really get me out of my comfort zone. I like to think of myself as an introverted extrovert. I would rather stay in and watch Twitches during my October month versus going to various college parties. Don’t get me wrong, I love being with my friends and going out but I might need a bit of a push to get there.

So how was my first college Halloween party you might ask? Just like every other party but with more interesting clothes to look at. There is something so interesting about seeing the same familiar faces you see while walking to class but in a completely different persona. I tend to prefer the personalities of people at parties anyways because everyone lets loose and are more friendly and open to new people, which I think are traits that shouldn’t just come to the surface when people have had a few drinks in them. Pairing the friendlier attitudes with altar Halloween egos is very fun to say the least. People watching is also at its prime time.

Halloween is coming up on Tuesday and for those of you that will be partying all weekend into Tuesday, good luck to you. I will no doubt be watching Freeform or Disney Channel Halloween movies, my true happy place. Sorry college parties, you just don’t compare.

2 Victoria Secret Angels, a bunny and a biker go to party

HCXOXO,

Imani Taylor

Hi! My name is Imani and I am a 21 year old Mass Communications major living in sunny Florida. I love traveling, listening to music and you, know, occasionally writing.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.