My Experience With Migraines and What Works for Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

I started getting migraines about every two weeks when I was 14 years old. I started to notice that the migraines would come when my period would start and when I would ovulate. So when I was 15, I started taking birth control pills. I continue to have migraines at least once a month to this day and have tried several birth control pills and an IUD in addition to many other fixes. I have missed school, work, and honestly just missed out on my life because of my migraines. I even had a migraine at my prom that had me running to the bathroom to throw up several times. At 21 years old, I am starting to realize that the migraines might just be something I have to deal with for all of my menstrating life. I know that many other girls get migraines similarly, so here is a list of what I use to get through the headaches. At this point, I feel like I won’t be able to stop getting the migraines, but some of these make it bearable.

1. Imitrex & Nausea Meds

First of all, I didn’t have prescription migraine medication until I was 19 and while they don’t stop a migraine every time, they seem to at least shorten the duration/ severity of the headaches. I don’t take daily medication, my prescription is for when I start to get a migraine and works best if takes as soon as possible at the start of a migraine.

2. Ice Packs

Laying in bed with an ice pack is the only thing that makes me feel better if I already have a migraine. Sometimes, I will wake up feeling totally fine after napping with an ice pack.

3. BeKoool Strips

I bought a pack of these for $5 at CVS on a whim and they’re amazing! They are sticky strips that feel cold. I will actually stick this to my neck and forehead and go to class like that if I feel good enough to go to class but still sick enough to literally wear giant stickers on my forehead without giving a care. They last around 4 hours!

https://bekooolfever.com/

4. Eye Mask

My room doesn’t get particularly dark, so an eye mask comes in handy for trying to take a nap.

5. CranioCradle

This ridiculous looking contraption has saved my life so many times. My masseuse sold it to me about 4 years ago and I use it so often! The design hits pressure points in your neck that is meant to relieve tension. I actually will use this some night if I don’t have a headache.

http://www.craniocradle.com/

6. Essential Oils & Diffuser

I can’t say for certain that this actually helps my headaches, but it does help set a relaxing mood when I’m miserable.

7. Acetaminophen & Ibuprofen

Probably obvious, and usually pain relievers don’t do anything for my headaches, but it’s worth noting that having both is nice because you can alternate which pain reliever you take without going over the acceptable dosage.

My name is Chloe Thirion. I am a twenty-one year old Accounting major with a Management minor in the Honors College at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg.  I currently work on campus as an RA in Residence Hall One and at a daycare for kids under three years old.    I like the simple things in life. I love shopping for office supplies. A neatly organized to-do list can make me  positively giddy. I carry a small legal pad and a pen with me so I can take notes as I need. My favorite pizza is  margherita. I love coffee, tea, and hot chocolate and I believe there is a time and place for each. I like to  daydream. My favorite thing to do is read.  I have little, little siblings-- my brother Rhett is thirteen and my sister Lilly is six. I like to be the boss; that might be obvious from the birth order situation. I might even go so far as to say I'm a control freak.    I hope to go on to get my Master's of Accountancy after my bachelor's. I like school; I tell people it's the only thing I know how to do, but I'm (half) joking when I say that.
Annie is a social media writer for USF St. Petersburg Marketing and Communications Department. She is majoring in Sociology and Criminology and minoring in Psychology and Leadership. "If we did all the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison