My Ed Sheeran “Divide” Tour Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

I am no stranger to an Ed Sheeran concert. My first time seeing him perform was in 2012 at Jingle Ball here in Tampa. He was relatively “new” in America at the time, so his set was unfortunately limited to two songs.

The disappointment I learned would be short lived because I saw him for the second time at Sunfest- a festival in West Palm Beach-in 2013. I had never been to an outdoor music festival before, and that experience in itself I could write a whole article on; but it also was the closest to Ed I have ever been.

2015 became the year I saw Ed in his first arena tour- the Multiply Tour-and since that fateful day, I have been counting down the days where I got to relive that experience.

August 29, 2017 became the day my dreams came true. The Divide tour made its way to Florida. I was more than ready to be in the same room as Mr. Ed Sheeran again and have my ears blessed in a way only he knows how to do.

Spoiler Alert: He more than delivered.

My concert experience was slightly different this time because for the first time in my life I had floor seats. I don’t know that I would choose floor again unless I had seats near the front row but it was amazing nonetheless.

He started out the show performing Castle on the Hill and once I could wipe the tears from my eyes well enough to see him, and collect myself, I stood there in awe. How he is able to put on a show solely just using a guitar, a loop pedal and his voice is beyond me but I am so, so thankful. From there, Ed segwayed to the more upbeat song, Eraser, where he really got the crowd’s energy up.

Something that made the Tampa concert special was Ed performed 2 songs that he hasn’t performed at all during the Divide tour- Tenerife Sea and Give Me Love. When I heard the opening to Give Me Love I think I had an out of body experience the whole time. Give Me Love is one of my favorite songs of his and to hear the way in which he performs the song now versus when it came out in 2011 was surreal. The rifts, his tone, the added length of the song was perfect.

The song I was looking forward to hearing live the most was Bloodstream. There is a part of the song where he plays his guitar and sings so intensely. The whole arena had a red cast to it and with every strum of the guitar you could feel pulsating through your body and when he would sing along with it, it radiated the entire room. It was a highlight of the show for me.

When Ed sang Perfect, I don’t think there was a girl in that whole arena that wasn’t thinking that song was being sung directly to her. Ed has a way of making you really feel his music. It is almost as if the song was made to perfectly account an experience you have had; a breakup you are still trying to recover from, or a song meaning to make you feel great about yourself. We all need that sometimes.

Every song he performed was captivating. The stage presence that Ed Sheeran has is unmatched and unparalleled. He is able to command the attention of thousands of people all by himself. No band, no back up dancers, no crazy mechanics and objects falling from the ceiling. Just his raw talent and a loop pedal.

Two other Her Campus member also attended the Divide tour and spoke highly of the experience.

Hayley with opening act James Blunt

“The concert was one of the most beautiful I’ve been to, I’m always impressed by Ed’s set and his interaction with the audience.” – Hayley Garron, Event planner for Her Campus USFSP

“Seeing Ed for the first time was mind blowing. I got to experience this concert with two of my best friends, so it was definitely a night full of tears and laughter. My ears were left ringing by the end of it all!” – Vanessa Rivera, Social Media Director of Her Campus USFSP

Four concerts later and I was still equally as impressed and hanging onto every note he sang just like the first time I saw him. I truly feel he is one of those artist you will never grow tired of seeing. I know I won’t.

If ever given the opportunity to attend a concert of one of your favorite artists, I highly recommend it. There is no better feeling than hearing your favorite song come to life, and every person around you experiencing the same emotion you are. Hearing the music in the car or on shuffle will never feel the same again.

For now, I will be counting down the days until my fifth Ed Sheeran concert and somehow trying to manage that lovely thing called Post Concert Depression.

HCXOXO,

Imani Taylor

Hi! My name is Imani and I am a 21 year old Mass Communications major living in sunny Florida. I love traveling, listening to music and you, know, occasionally writing.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.