“Made in the Bay” Gift Buying Guide 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

For the Trend Setter

Strands of Sunshine – Strands of Sunshine owner & artist, Amy Marshall, prides herself on making “Handcrafted Goods for Happy People”. You can get a behind-the-scenes sneak peak of her work by checking out her workbench right inside the shop! Strands of Sunshine also features other locally made goods + classes + private parties.

BurgBox – Do you love your city? Want to get a little bit of everything Tampa Bay has to offer? Check out BurgBox.com for a monthly curated box of local goodies! Get everything from locally made clothes, snacks, crafts, music, & more! BurgBox believes in giving back to the community, so 5% of each sale is donated to a local charity (December sales benefit Pet Pal Animal Shelter).

Bodhi Basics After struggling with her own acne and skin problems for you, Bodhi Basics owner Kim Vorperian decided to take matters into her own hands. Kim setup what she calls a “makeshift laboratory” in her kitchen and experimented with organic, all natural skin remedies! 5 years later, she now owns the shop Bodhi Basics where she sells skincare products using only “the highest quality, organic, botanical ingredients – no junk, no artificial crap, no synthetic fragrance.”

Unforgettaballs – Want to get the sports fan in your life a truly unique gift? Give them an Unforgettaball! Artist Emily Wolfson reproduces original paintings onto authentic baseballs. you can find hundreds of designs from ballparks (both old and new) to city landscapes (St. Pete Skyline baseball anyone?). You can even order your own, custom baseball!

Hopcloth – Who doesn’t love craft beer? Put your hop where your heart is with these fun, beer inspired designs from Hopcloth!

For the Foodie

Tidal Boar Ginger BeerTidal Boar makes (non-alcoholic) ginger beer with all-natural, LOCALLY SOURCED ingredients. Aka perfect pool side, beach shore, Saturday Morning market drinking.

Pinellas Chocolate Company – Each artisan chocolate bar is single-origin, meaning every bean in your chocolate came from the same farm. How neat is that? Pinellas Chocolate then selects a roast that’s appropriate to every batch’s flavor profile, resulting in a smooth and unique chocolate flavor.

Mazzaro’s Italian Market – You can’t go wrong with a gift card to Tampa Bay’s favorite culinary destination. From fresh roasted coffee, to gourmet baked goods and handmade pastas, any foodie will be in heaven wandering the aisles of Mazzaro’s! You can also check out their space next door, Casa di Mazzaro for housewares and more locally made goods.

Urban Canning Company – From start to finish every jar produced by the Urban Canning Company is made by hand. Urban Canning takes pride in using seasonal, locally sourced produce. Give Urban Canning for a unique, delicious gift!

For the Artsy Types

Calusa Press – Need something eye catching and quirky to decorate your dorm? Calusa Press has you covered! Get locally inspired designs like “Neighborhood Prints” (link: http://calusapress.com/shop/the-sunshine-city), Tampa Bay themed greeting cards, & more.

ArtPool – Not sure what to get your friend who’s on the bleeding edge of cool? I promise they won’t be disappointed with a giftcard to ArtPool – a super rad vintage boutique for retro lovers. You can find a variety of local art, vintage fashion, accessories, vinyl records, & more.

Chad Mize – Chad Mize strives to create artwork to uplift and inspire. You can find t-shirts & art prints combining local imagery and political commentary with bright saturated colors to create an eye catching and unique art lineup.

Miss Johnny Squirrel – Enter the fun, charming world of designer Yuki Osada’s line Miss Johnny Squirrel. You’ll find fun pillows, colorful prints, and even some neat locally themed pieces like the Pier-ican and this map of Downtown St. Petersburg!

Melodious Monster – Need an artsy way to express your love for coffee? There’s a print for that. Artist Kelly Hewitt creates whimsical, Tumblr-esque illustrations in a variety of prints, shirts, and mixed medium pieces (decorative embroidery hoops, oil on wood wall hangings).

For the Music Fan

Daddy Kool Records – Daddy Kool Records has a vast selection of new and used vinyl, concert tickets, CDs, movies, and collectibles. A gift card is sure to impress any music fan!

Ari and the Alibis – Inspired by the sounds of New Orleans, Ari and the Alibis smartly incorporates funk, jazz, and samba with blues, soul and tango to provide a winning mix of “Bluesy Jazz Rock”! Pair Ari and the Alibi’s newest album “Dirty Little Secret” with a night out at one of their shows for the perfect gift.

Danfield – A smooth combination of jazz, funk, and reggae that occasionally turns into a burst of jazz-fueled spoken word. Perfect for someone who likes music that’s “just a little bit out there”.

Forrest Hoffar – Tampa Native Forrest Hoffar offers a solid dirty, americana-flavored sound. A great pick for fans of Tom Petty, Garth Brooks, or Dave Matthews.

DROPINPICKUP – Just listening to Dropin Pickup, you might assume that backup vocalist Gabrielle Arnold was winging. You’d be wrong! Frontman Mike Farrell handles all the vocals, even venturing into the falsetto ranges.

For the Restaurant Go-er

Stillwaters Tavern – Executive Chef Jerry Jew and Director of Operations Lee Karlins strive to create a modern take on the American tavern with Stillwaters. Stillwaters focuses on an even split of “land and sea” dishes, and combines these with old world flavor profiles developed from traveling around the world. Stillwaters prides itself on serving the best seasonally, locally sourced ingredients.

Red Mesa Cantina – From tacos to ceviche, Red Mesa Cantina prides itself on offering a modern take on Latin-American small plates. Enjoy your meal in the upscale/casual dining room, or the beautiful outside patio.

Urban Comfort – From their fried chicken to freshly baked buttery biscuits, Urban Comfort is all about the charm of Southern cooking. Grab a beer, grab a biscuit, and play some shuffleboard (the quintessential St. Petersburg sport) on their outdoor shuffleboard courts.

Brick & Mortar – Executive Chef Jason Ruhe is truly a chef’s chef. Jason and his wife hope cut their teeth with their own company Blook Catering, and just recently started their new creative project Brick & Mortar in beautiful downtown St. Petersburg. Brick & Mortar specializes in rustic yet elegant flavors, locally sourced ingredients, and a wonderful selection of craft beers and wines.  

Swah-Rey – “Heaven is real, and it’s called (swah-rey)” pretty accurately sums up the experience of eating at swah-rey. Swah-rey is actually a dessert bar, offering a fun and quirky dining experience to the St. Pete restaurant scene. Every dessert is made with locally sourced ingredients, and a whole lotta TLC.

HCXOXO

Written by our contributor writer Jamie Doerschuck

Photo Resources:

http://www.tbo.com/pinellas-county/half-ton-provolone-just-another-attraction-at-mazzaros-20141210/

http://www.lisagilmoredesign.com/blog-interior-design-florida/2014/3/5/project-strands-of-sunshine-st-petersburg-fl

https://www.etsy.com/listing/259668602/st-petersburg-pier-pelican-wall-art-wall?ref=shop_home_active_5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wz7CEBP26Y

http://cltampa.com/dailyloaf/archives/2009/01/27/red-mesa-cantina-sneak-peek#.Vm8S5L_yt1Y

A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others. 
Alana is a college Senior with a major in Mass Communications with a concentration in Journalism and Media Studies and a minor in Art History. Alana was born in raised in Southwest Florida, so she adores the water and beach lifestyle. She loves anything to do with fashion and plans to work as a professional fashion writer or PR professional when she gets out of college. Alana looks forward to writing for the University of South Florida St. Petersburg's chapter of Her Campus all four years of her upcoming college career and is currently a Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for her chapter. When she's not running to and from classes, she loves to go online shopping or watching YouTube videos.