Local Spotlight: Wordier Than Thou at Studio 620

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Here in St. Petersburg, the arts community is the holy grail of the city. For most things related to the arts, people turn to one place; a place well-known for hosting exhibits, workshops and galleries – They turn to Studio 620.

Photo Courtesy of Tec Garage

On Tuesday night, the Studio 620 hosted Wordier Than Thou, an open mic event for reading short stories and prose. The hours of readings seemed like minutes, as the stories and prose delighted listeners who both laughed and found sentimental connections with each author’s piece.  For some readers, it was their first time performing their written works out loud in front of people.  For Amanda Dodge, it was her second time.

“I have always been one to want to be in the spotlight I guess. I just like to feel out the danger first, so by watching other people (read), I noticed certain patterns in texts that I could word together and be inspired by. I eventually ended up writing little scratch work at home and I made a bunch of people read it, and then I eventually decided to get up and try it,” she said.

The Studio @620 hosts Wordier Than Thou about once a month, but they host other events on a weekly basis.

“It does a ton of events. Every month, there’s something new; there’s something for pretty much everyone,” Amanda said.

Visit Studio 620’s website to find out when their next event is: http://www.thestudioat620.org/home

HC with care,

Megan Hammer

Photo Sources:

http://www.tecgarage.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/cw5d5977-studio620-1_b.jpg

Megan Hammer is a junior at USFSP and is majoring in Global Business. She loves to travel, write, and listen to music. She is a musician herself, so she enjoys playing with other musicians in her spare time. An Illinois native, she is interested in experiencing different cultures and trying new things. Some places she has traveled to include Monaco, France, Germany, Italy, and England. Megan is constantly on the lookout for her next great adventure. She dreams of joining a volunteer service organization and giving time to communities in South America or Africa. As President & Campus Correspondent, she proudly represents the USFSP Her Campus chapter.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.