Learn Salsa on Campus!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

USFSP Campus Recreation and The Fitness Center are proud to announce a new class available for all USF students in the Health Center…. Salsa dancing!

USFSP students Kathleen Matos, and Eloy Martinez, have competed and instructed in Dance teams in Miami and Tampa, and are now teaming up to teach Salsa to all leveled dancers on our campus, as a part of the Fit-4-life program. Whether you already know the dance or can barely manage the basic steps, you are welcome to participate; no prior experience required, just bring comfortable dancing clothes!

Martinez, 19, has been dancing Salsa competitively for six years, and teaching for four, and wants to bring more variety to his campus. Though Martinez explains that this hour of Cardio does not replace a day at the gym, he says that it’s a great addition to a fit lifestyle. Partner Matos, 19, also having four years of competitive dancing experience, has been teaching Salsa for three. She encourages everyone to participate, learn more about the culture and be open to different dancing techniques.

“I would like my students to leave this class, having learned a new skill and a style of Salsa that hasn’t been danced in St. Pete or Tampa, in a long time” says Martinez, “I want to teach them LA Salsa, Casino Salsa, and maybe throw in some Bachata”

(Think about it… when you’re out with friends and suddenly that Salsa song comes on… who knows what could happen.)

Alejandra Vera

Vice President of Her Campus at the University of South Florida - St. Petersburg Junior majoring in Mass Communications, with a Minor in Journalism.