This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Have you ever walked into a space, such as a coffee shop or even a library and felt a sense of calmness? This could be due to the lighting, the scent, or even the color of the walls. There are many different aspects to interior design, such as organization, different color palettes, lighting, etc. Many people do not realize how big of an impact that interior design has on your mental health. There have been several articles written that tell you what you should do in order to create an area where you feel calmer and less stressed. While there are many recommendations of what has helped people in the past, it is all ultimately based on your own preferences. It is important to make the space feel like your own and you should feel a sense of joy and even relief when you enter your home, bedroom, or office space. 

When you first move into your dorm room or apartment, it can be a challenging task to find your “style” or things that fit both you and your roommate’s taste. Certain designs create a calming effect and ensure focus, while others can be chaotic and stressful. I know when I first moved into my dorm, I had a challenging time trying to figure out what things I could get that would add a little color to the room. Adding photos is a great way to add a pop of color to your dorm, while also personalizing it and making it feel more like your own space. Also finding organizational pieces that add an accent color can make the room more interesting. Keeping things organized is a key element of creating a relaxing environment because it keeps all of the clutter where it is not visible to the eye. This could mean getting storage containers or different shelving options. The color palette that you use is also a crucial part of creating a space that is calming. Colors like light blues and greens can help lower blood pressure and heart rate. One last element of interior design is incorporating nature into your design elements, as nature has been proven to help people feel calmer. Although it is hard to keep plants alive in a dorm (due to lighting issues or forgetting to water it), bringing in plants,real or fake, can help create a peaceful environment that allows you to feel more connected to the space. 

It is also important to separate your spaces. For example, you should never do homework or anything work related in your bed or somewhere that you associate with sleep/relaxation. You should always have a designated space such as a desk or office area to do your studying and assignments because it will help you to focus better. Within this space however it is important to still have a few decorations such as a picture frame or a small vase of flowers to keep a happy and peaceful feel to the space. I hope these tips are helpful in future dorms, houses, or even offices to make them feel unique and comforting.  

Happy decorating!

I am a marketing major at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. I am currently a part of the Judy Genshaft Honors College as well as the Business Honors Program. Some of my hobbies include going to the beach, shopping, and playing guitar.