How Stranger Things 2 Flipped My World Upside Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

*Warning: May contain spoilers*

October 27th, 2017 – the day Netflix blessed the world with Stranger Things 2. We were taken back on a journey to the craziness of Hawkins that flipped my world upside down. I will have to say that it took a bit longer for the craziness to go down in season two than it did in season one but when it finally happened, IT GOT CRAZY!! As the episodes went on, I found myself getting more and more glued to the show, letting Netflix continue to play the episodes back to back. I binge-watched the first season so I felt it was only right to do the same for season two. Every episode left you wanting more and left you stuck, trying to process everything that you just witnessed with your very own eyes.

Photo Courtesy of Google Images

One of my favorite parts about this new season was the two different storylines – Eleven’s past and the journey of Will and his friends with The Upside Down. In season one, Eleven just kind of appeared out of nowhere and immediately jumped into helping the boys defeat the evil in Hawkins. The only thing that we knew was that she was an experiment, and because of that, she had these awesome powers. In this season, I really enjoyed learning more about her past. The Duffer Brothers did a great job in tracing things back from season one to season two, such as the story of Eleven’s mother. We were also introduced to Eleven’s sister, who was able to trigger the fears of people in their mind while making them see things that aren’t actually there. We got to see the tough and edgy side of Eleven even more through this journey, making her the ultimate bada** that I aspire to be one day. I also really loved the development of the relationship between Hopper and Eleven. Eleven doesn’t have family, so seeing Hopper step in to play the  role of funny and protective dad for her was very adorable to watch.  

Photo Courtesy of Google Images

When the funeral scene for Barb popped up, I couldn’t help but shout “Justice for Barb!!” I was so happy to see that her death was finally acknowledged and that she was given the proper funeral service that she deserved. In season one, Nancy worried about her the most and in season two, we got to see just how much the death of her best friend was affecting her. This made the situation much more real, and I am glad that it was brought to light because she was affected by the demogorgon just like Will.  

There is so much more that happened in this season that completely shook me and that I have questions about, but you just have to see it for yourself! I think it’s safe to say that this show is definitely an 11/10 ;)

HCXOXO,

Shayla Fajardo

Shayla Fajardo is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg who is majoring in Biology. She enjoys eating unhealthy amounts of pizza, hanging out with friends, binge watching Netflix shows, and attending concerts. A goal of hers has always been to be more involved on campus, so she made sure to actively be involved in three clubs at USFSP- Her Campus, Multicultural Activities Council, and Harborside Activities Board. Shayla's ultimate life goal is to one day become a marine biologist who can travel the world and make a difference.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.