This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

My hair has always been one of my favorite physical traits. Like everyone I have those days where it looks like a birds nest but in general, I do try and keep it looking somewhat presentable.

“You have the best hair,” is the best compliment I like to receive. I have always had long hair but have experimented with the short hair trend twice now.

I’ll admit I have my days where I wish I could just chop it all off and start off fresh. Last semester I did the unthinkable and tried out bangs. I loved them but the upkeep is truly not what I signed up for. When you rarely wash your hair, bangs are your worst enemy because they’ll scream to the world “Look, I’m oily!”

If you know me, you know I wash and comb my hair only once a week. I rarely use dry shampoo. I always forget the stuff exists but I do own about five different cans. I also only ever comb through, and never brush (in my opinion brushes pull out more hair than a comb) my hair after I wash it.

When I do wash my hair, I use Shea Moisture’s “Argan Oil & Almond Milk” shampoo and conditioner as well as their “Jamaican Castor Oil Strengthen and Grow” shampoo and conditioner. I personally use this brand because they are cruelty free and organic.

The trick to washing my hair is I condition my ends first and then move on to other to dos such as washing my face. Then, I remove the conditioner and shampoo only my scalp. If you think about it all your oil and buildup is on your scalp so your ends don’t have to be really washed, excess shampoo will trickle down anyway. After shampooing, I condition my ends again and let it sit in my hair throughout the duration of my shower. I do not apply any conditioner to my scalp. (I read this in an article on the proper way to wash your hair a while ago so I religiously live by this process.)

After washing, I comb through from the bottom, middle, then top. If you start from the top, you’ll be ripping more hair out if you try to remove any knots. Start from the bottom to release any extra pressure you would be applying to your hair during the de tangling process. After combing through I spray my hair with Mario Badescu’s “Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater”. It’s meant for the face and call me crazy but I think the Rosewater has benefits.

When it comes to styling, I try to use as minimal heat as possible. I only air dry my hair and have only ever used a blow dryer when I did have my bangs. Nowadays, I typically curl my hair once a week and let it do its thing. However, I would be lying if I said I didn’t’t do touch ups during the week when it needs a little boost.

Because I do occasionally use heat, I am an avid believer in heat protecting sprays. I tend to either go with Not Your Mother’s “Beat the Heat thermal shield spray” or Bumble and Bumble’s “Bb. Hairdressers invisible oil Heat/UV protective primer.”

I don’t love to use too many products in my hair due to buildup, but I will if I have to. If you’re looking for some extra hold or volume, I suggest Not Your Mother’s “Double Take Dry Finish Texture Spray.” However, if you plan on not washing your hair after using this product I would not apply heat again because it won’t be soft and silky.

Towards the end of my week I tend to French braid my hair because my excess oil does help in keeping down my baby hairs and flyaways. It’s a win-win, really. If you’re not comfortable going out with visibly oily hair I suggest incorporating hats into your wardrobe. They can be a great statement piece and can pull an outfit together.

My number one tip for great hair is stop the excess washing. Your natural oils are there for a reason and do make a difference. I suggest starting off by washing every other day then every two days and then stop whenever you feel comfortable. For me, one wash a week is doable but I also understand there are so many hair types out there. It’s a trial and error process that will result in smooth and most importantly, healthy hair.

I hope you all find this helpful and love your locks, girl!

HCXOXO,

Vanessa Rivera

Hey, I'm Vanessa! Im a senior at USFSP majoring in Mass Communications. I hope you enjoy my writing that will be about literally anything and everything. My goal after college is to find a career in the entertainment or music industry. To make that happen, I'm currently planning a big move from sunny Florida to sunny California! Follow me on my journey through my writing, enjoy!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.