free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How to Become More Professional and Successful in College?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

I have been told companies begin hiring people years in advance, so now is the best time to get started! Learning the best ways to jumpstart how you can get more involved in advancing your career. I enjoy learning new ways to better myself and career too if you have any more advice follow my Instagram @ana._.daus. In no way shape or form am I perfect or have my life sorted out. I am probably the biggest mess there is out there.

1. Have a goal in mind.

1. When you start in college you are not expected to know exactly what you want to do, but it is suggested to know the path you want to follow.

2. I would like to major in either Accounting or Finance, but I have not decided yet.

2. Clean up your social media accounts.

1. You should probably delete those drunken photos off your Instagram accounts and maybe save them to your camera roll for “memories” and safe keeping.

2. Untag yourself in unspeakable photos or disassociate yourself with accounts that may hinder future employment opportunities.

3. Unlike photos or comments that you may have liked in 2012 that are less tasteful than you originally thought.

4. Or delete your Social media accounts in full and get a fresh start.

3. Network

1. Join LinkedIn to network and stay in touch with people you know so you can get a valuable and recognizable reference

2. Go to career fairs and events on campus, because you never know who you will meet.

3. Speak to your professors and advisors regularly, so they know who you are and can possibly mentor and guide you.

4. Reach out to other students with a similar career path, to gain a different perspective

4. Pay attention in class.

1. Yes C’s may get degrees but A’s and B’s can also go further, for the simple fact that some employers still look at GPAs.

5. Start a portfolio.

1. Art and journalism majors are not the only majors that need portfolios, science and business majors can benefit too

1. Save your best projects from school-that have to do with your major within reason.

2. Portfolios can show your organizational skills, leadership skills, professionalism and remind you of what your goal is.

Anastasia D'Ausilio goes to the University of South Florida St. Petersburg and is a Finance and Business major. She enjoys Keeping Up With the Kardashians and binge watching multiple seasons of Netflix shows. She lives in a small dorm with 7 other people and very different personalities, which makes for very interesting stories and a possible vlog channel.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.