Harborside Activities Board (HAB) 2017-2018 New Positions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

HAB recently elected a new e-board for the 2017-2018 year, so let’s meet all of the officers!

Kevin Patrick

New Position on the 2017-2018 HAB team: President

Favorite Part of being in HAB: My favorite part of being in HAB is having the opportunity to work alongside so many awesome student leaders who share my same mindset and love for planning great events. The feeling of satisfaction you get when an event is successful and well received is amazing.

Random fact that no one on campus knows about you: I did Tae Kwon Do for four years.

What motivated you to get involved with HAB: Well, in high school, I wasn’t very involved with many extracurriculars. So when I started school at USFSP, I made it a goal to be involved and immerse myself in the community. I joined HAB as a volunteer member because I thought it would be cool to help out at events. I never really imagined that I would enjoy planning events, but throughout my time volunteering, I realized that loved it. So, I applied to be a Director last year and have worked as the Director of Stage Acts/Special Events this past academic year, and now I’m ready to move even further by being President.

Kelli Carmack

New Position: Vice President

Favorite part of being in HAB: My favorite part of being in HAB is getting to be so involved with my school! Through HAB, I get to help make super fun events for my fellow USFSP students. I know first hand how stressful college can be, so having things like Screen on the Greens where you can watch your favorite movie with your best friends, or getting the chance to dance the night away at HAB’s Homecoming Ball really means a lot to college students, and it means a lot to me that I get to help plan these super fun events for them. I also absolutely love the friendships and memories I have (and will continue to make) through this student organization. The HAB team truly is a family; that’s why we call ourselves the HAB Fam.

Random fact: My very first concert was Demi Lovato’s, and I actually ended up meeting her that night. Best night ever.

What motivated me to get involved with HAB: Halfway through my freshman year, I realized that I wasn’t as involved at school as I would have liked to been. So when the applications for the 2016-2017 HAB team opened up, I knew I had to apply. Even though I was super nervous in the beginning to hold such a high student-leadership position, I believed in myself, and I have gained so much confidence in myself. I recently ended up winning the Sophomore Student Leader of the Year award at the Rocky’s, and I would have never gotten it if I never applied to HAB. HAB truly has been a blessing to me; it has helped me grow so much as a student leader and person, and for that I will forever be grateful to HAB.

Also, I am so excited to be Vice-President of HAB next year! While I have big shoes to fill (Jared Bolton has been a phenomenal Vice President of HAB for the past two years), I cannot wait to help Kevin lead the amazing 2017-2018 HAB team! They are all so creative and passionate, and I know we are going to put on some amazing events for you all.

Samantha Ortiz

New Position on the 2017-2018 HAB team: I am the new Traditions Director for the 2017-2018 HAB team.

Favorite Part of being in HAB:  My favorite part about being in HAB is the great times we have at every event.

Random fact that no one on campus knows about you: A random fact about me is that I love watching documentaries since I’m low-key a nerd.

What motivated you to join HAB: I was motivated to get involved with HAB because as a Freshman, I was determined to make new friends and be involved somehow on campus and HAB was one out of the many organizations that I was interested in. At first I started by attending HAB’s general body meetings, and from there I decided to join a committee as a Habbie, which was the traditions committee, and I really enjoyed helping to plan events such as Homecoming and USFSP Week as well as volunteering and advertising. Also my committee leader Kania Davis and the rest of our Push Thru Crew were amazing and like a family to me, and I knew that I wanted to continue my journey with HAB and get involved even more for the next upcoming Freshman class.

Megan Scarcello

New Position: HAB Director of Special Events

Favorite Part of HAB: I love the creative liberty that it gives people. There are so many events that go on that people put so much thought into. It’s amazing to see how creative people can become when planning events. I love seeing people work together to accomplish a goal and find creative events to put on.

Random Fact: I don’t like drinking from glass bottles because when I was 6, I got my tongue stuck in a glass yohoo bottle.

What motivated me to get involved: I was very involved in high school and wanted to continue that in college. For my orientation, my OL was in HAB and the stories and events that he told me about inspired me to want to join HAB. It was one of the best decisions I made because I enjoy and love helping planning events. I am so excited for the new year! There are so many awesome events in store.

Asmita Palsule (apulsule@mail.usf.edu)

New Position on the 2017-2018 HAB team 2017-2018 school year: Director of Stage Acts

Favorite Part of being in HAB:  I can put on big events and have students come out and enjoy all of our events

Random fact that no one on campus knows about you: I was trained in Indian Classical Dance for 13 years

What motivated you to join HAB: All of the directors that I worked with during my first year here (Kania Davis, Kevin Patrick, Anthony Greggo).

Noah Miller (nemiller@mail.usf.edu)

New Position on the 2017-2018 HAB team: Director of Films

Favorite Part of being in HAB: The sense of community that all club members share. We become one family where everyone genuinely cares about each other. I am looking forward to becoming a part of the Director family next school year!

Random fact that no one on campus knows about you:  Nobody knows that I cried like a baby at the end of all four of The Hunger Games movies

What motivated you to join HAB: I wanted to make a difference at USFSP. I transferred here from Coastal Carolina University where students had no voice. When I came here, I was so excited that students had real opportunities to create change. I joined HAB and was welcomed with open arms.

Shayla Fajardo

New Position on the 2017-2018 HAB team: Director of Marketing

Favorite Part of being in HAB: – I love how welcoming HAB has always been and how we are one big family. Everyone is so kind and creative and such a fun time to work with. Planning events is always a great time too because it allows for us committee members to represent the rest of the students and help to create events we know everyone would enjoy. It’s awesome to be behind the scenes of things sometimes and even better receiving that satisfaction of a successful event that you helped to plan.

Random fact that no one on campus knows about you: I have a total of seven siblings: 3 step siblings, 1 full blood brother, and 3 half siblings

What motivated you to join HAB:I was motivated to join HAB because of how badly I wanted to be involved on this campus. They are one of the biggest programming organizations here and I thought they would be a perfect way to start. I attended pretty much all of their events and saw how much fun they all were so I thought it would be even cooler to actually be a part in making them happen.

Kasi Nelson (klnelson2@mail.usf.edu)

New Position on the 2017-2018 HAB team: Director of Design

Favorite Part of being in HAB: Being a part of such a great team and being a part of so many cool events on campus.

Random fact that no one on campus knows about you: I learned a few tricks on the trapeze last year

What motivated you to join HAB:  I am a graphic design major and there was a position open for design where I would be working with amazing people.

We wish the best of luck to all of the new HAB members for 2017-2018!

HCXOXO,

Alyssa Harmon & Hayley Garron

Hayley Nicole Garron is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg, currently majoring in Journalism. She has passions of reading, writing, playing soccer, shopping, and doing things for others, and she aspires to to gain her fame by creating a novel so amazing you won't want to put it down. In her spare time, she can be found watching YouTube videos, writing her blog, "This is why I'm Haute," or trying new DIY's found on pinterest. USFSP has been a great influence to help her find more of herself in growing up.
Alyssa Harmon is a senior at USFSP and is majoring in English Writing Studies and minoring in Mass Communication. For her senior year, she is also working on her thesis project for the Honors College. She is the current senior editor for the USFSP Her Campus chapter, as well as the 2017-2018 president and the 2018-2019 vice president for the Alpha Xi Phi chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. In addition, she is the editor-in-chief of Papercut Literary Journal. Alyssa lived all around the country until 2013 when she and her family moved to Florida. Alyssa has a passion for reading and writing, and she's been doing that since she learned how to. Once she graduates, she wants to hopefully publish a book of some of her poetry and work as a copy editor at a publishing company. When she's not doing homework, you can find her downtown, at the beach, or in a bookstore.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.