Go Green: Simple Changes to Becoming Green

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

We are constantly hearing people tell us the importance of going green and saving the dolphins, especially if you have been stopped by GreenPeace on your way to class. Yes, I want to help save the planet, but it’s not practical to spend $20 or more a month.

I care about saving the planet,and that’s why I have started making small changes that will make an impact on the community. Below are some small swaps you can make in your everyday life that can help save the environment.

Makeup Eraser is a great alternative for makeup remover wipes. Instead of purchasing more wipes when you run out, you just put the makeup eraser in the washer with the rest of your clothes. It more practical because you only have to purchase a new makeup eraser every year, some companies even sell them in a pack of three.

Reusable Water Bottle and a Brita Pitcher. Did you know that it takes approximately 450 years for a water bottle to decompose? Well it does, that’s why switching to a reusable bottle and a Brita Pitcher is a great change.

Reusable Shopping Bag. For just 99 cents  at your local grocery store, like Publix, you can purchase a reusable bag and use it every time you go shopping instead getting tons of plastic bags.

Walk or Carpool. The less you use your car, the better. When you are constantly driving your car, you are emitting carbon, which is horrible for the atmosphere say hello to the greenhouse effect.

Use Less Paper. Try finding ways to use less paper such as paying bills online or taking notes on your laptop.

Images courtesy of pinterest.com

I am a graduate student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg pursuing my Masters in Digital Journalism and Design. I have a strong photography background with expertise in writing, social media, event marketing, and graphic design. Williams can be reached by email at tamiracle@mail.usf.edu.    Life is like a Camera. You focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out you take another shot. ~ unknown
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.