Five Tips to Prepare for a Hurricane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

I’ve only lived in Florida for four years, but in those few years I quickly learned that Floridians don’t take hurricanes seriously. As soon as a hurricane or tropical storm is announced, the memes and jokes rise up, the invites to hurricane parties go out, and liquor is purchased. However, Hurricane Irma has finally caused Floridians to take a storm seriously. Instead of the alcohol shelves being empty, it was the water. There were lines for gas station a week ahead of when the storm would actually hit. Panic is quickly spreading through the state, motivated by the haunting images from Hurricane Harvey. Here are some tips to help you be prepared for a hurricane, whether that be Irma or any in the future.

1. Water

There are pictures and videos of empty shelves in grocery stores plastered all over the news and social media. If shipments don’t make it into the store in time, there are a few things you can do. Fill any containers you can with drinkable water now before the storm hits. Stock up on ice as well; you may need it if your water supply runs dry. Fill your bathtubs with water so that you can use them to flush your toilet.

2. Fridge/Freezer

If power goes out for long enough, you could lose some of your perishable food. To help it last a little bit longer, you can fill up bags with ice now to pack into your fridge and freezer. This could help to preserve your food for a little bit longer.

3. Cash

Go to an ATM as soon as possible. Again, if power goes out, credits and debit cards may not be usable. By going to an ATM early, you ensure that you can purchase any necessary supplies you may need. It is best to get it as soon as possible as ATMS may actually run out of cash.

4. Insurance/Important Papers

If you do have insurance, I would take pictures of all your valuables so that you can prove to the insurance company what you had. Get all your important documents together and put them in a ziploc bag and seal them. You can also put them in your dishwasher, to keep them from getting wet. Another way to store your important documents is to take pictures of them and upload them to a cloud-based system so that you can access them anywhere.

5. Netflix App

In the event that the power goes out, your WiFi will go with it. However, if you download the Netflix app on either your laptop or phone, there are certain shows and movies that you can download to watch without having to use data or WiFi. You will have to use some of your battery, but it can help pass the time as the hurricane passes. Another helpful thing to prepare is to get a portable charger, which could give your phone a few more battery lives.

These are only a few of the tips that can help you prepare and go through this hurricane. It’s always best to be prepared for the worst but still hope that the worst will not happen.

For those in Florida facing the looming Hurricane Irma, stay safe.

HC,

Alyssa Harmon

Photo Resource: http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/850676/Hurricane-irma-path-noaa-tr…

Alyssa Harmon is a senior at USFSP and is majoring in English Writing Studies and minoring in Mass Communication. For her senior year, she is also working on her thesis project for the Honors College. She is the current senior editor for the USFSP Her Campus chapter, as well as the 2017-2018 president and the 2018-2019 vice president for the Alpha Xi Phi chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. In addition, she is the editor-in-chief of Papercut Literary Journal. Alyssa lived all around the country until 2013 when she and her family moved to Florida. Alyssa has a passion for reading and writing, and she's been doing that since she learned how to. Once she graduates, she wants to hopefully publish a book of some of her poetry and work as a copy editor at a publishing company. When she's not doing homework, you can find her downtown, at the beach, or in a bookstore.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.