Fall Out Boy Returns to Save Rock and Roll

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Fall Out Boy seem to have it all. A new album, Save Rock and Roll, plus a nearly sold out upcoming tour, not to mention lead singer/guitarist Patrick Stump has lost over 60 pounds since Fall Out Boy’s hiatus began and has never been more gorgeous. But it hasn’t always been so easy for them.

Over four years ago Fall Out Boy released their last album, Folie a Doux, which was met with very mixed fan reviews (but in my opinion was incredibly catchy and fun). On tour, they were nearly booed offstage when playing songs from that album. This led to Fall Out Boy’s “indefinite hiatus” soon after. Most thought they called it quits for good.

That was 2009. Since then, the members have mostly joined other bands. Patrick made a solo album that bombed while went broke touring to promote it. Bassist Pete Wentz went through a divorce. The members all grew up. They finally decided to start over, completely recording the album in secret from the media and fans, and vehemently denied any rumors of a reunion. The privacy allowed them the freedom to create something truly their own, without judgment (at least until now). The band’s album is released on April 16th, 2013. However, the band thinks you’ve waited long enough to hear it, and has posted it for streaming on FallOutBoy.com. There you can give it a thorough listen and decide if you want to buy it.

Save Rock and Roll showcases a new, genre-mixing, grown up sound. The boys have proven that no matter who they collaborate with, they always make it work. Featured in the album are Courtney Love and Elton John! There are songs that will break your heart, such as “Alone Together” and “Just One Yesterday,” that are offset by summer anthems like the upcoming single “Young Volcanoes.” Throughout this album, you can hear traces of who the band used to be in the witty rhymes and catchy choruses, but it is apparent that they are incorporating more musical influences and evolving as a band.

Photo Sources: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RXKucaPgYfg/UVz5-Lg6IBI/AAAAAAAAHlY/KGb9jDYmz8g/s1600/fall+out+boy+2013+fob.jpg

http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/promo_650/public/media/fall-out-boy-new-650-430.jpg