Campus Cutie: David Thompson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

David Thompson is a person on campus who is dedicated to making a difference. This influential individual has just started here and has already made a huge impact! We are excited to see what he does next. Read more about this week’s Campus Cutie David Thompson below.

Photo provided by David Thompson

What year are you (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior)?

Freshman.

Why did you decide to go to USFSP?

There were a lot of things that came together that made me choose USFSP. A few of the big ones: the class sizes were small, and so was the school, the location is amazing and the campus is truly beautiful, plus they took all of my Dual Enrollment credits, it was the perfect fit. 

What’s your major?

Political Science.

What’s your favorite thing about our campus?

I really can’t get enough of the natural beauty of this campus, the waterfront, the palm trees and flowers. They all make for such an amazing environment to be surrounded by.

In what ways are you involved on campus?

I’m a member of Student Government in the Communications Department so you’ll probably see me out at the front desk sometimes, so stop by and say hi sometime. I’m also the Vice President of LunchPals, a member of Political Question and a member of the Environmental Science and Sustainability Club.

How did you first get involved in SG?

I’ve been involved in Student Government since I was freshman in High School, so when Victor Sims, who’s the Secretary of Communications, posted that he was looking for people to join his department, it was a natural progression for me to do in college. So far it’s been an absolutely amazing experience and I’m so glad I did it.

What do you do when not at school (extra curricular activities/jobs…etc)?

If I’m not in the SG office or in class, chances are you’ll find me in one of two places: at the beach/park with my friends or hanging out in one of my friend’s rooms. Outside of that, I’ll be working with one of the clubs I’m involved in or chilling in the reef.

What/who is your inspiration?

My biggest inspiration by far has to be President John F. Kennedy. I find him to be such a fascinating president, loved by so many but also going through so many internal struggles as well. He was an incredibly measured, creative, personable and level-headed leader who did his best to surround himself with good people. Those are things I think all people should aspire for, and I certainly do.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

In 10 years I hope to be running the campaign of someone I truly believe in or to be running for elected office myself.

Is there anything else you would like to include?

Please make sure you go out and vote this election cycle and don’t just vote for who you’re friends are voting for, take the time to learn about the candidates, what policies they support, and look at their record etc. Young people don’t realize a lot of times, and I know I didn’t, just how important we are in society. And if that’s not enough reason to vote, think about this, the people elected into office usually don’t live long enough to see the result of the bad decisions they make, but we will, so make your voice heard. No matter what candidate you vote for, just vote.

HCXOXO

Alana Long

Alana is a college Senior with a major in Mass Communications with a concentration in Journalism and Media Studies and a minor in Art History. Alana was born in raised in Southwest Florida, so she adores the water and beach lifestyle. She loves anything to do with fashion and plans to work as a professional fashion writer or PR professional when she gets out of college. Alana looks forward to writing for the University of South Florida St. Petersburg's chapter of Her Campus all four years of her upcoming college career and is currently a Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for her chapter. When she's not running to and from classes, she loves to go online shopping or watching YouTube videos.