This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Whenever I meet new people, our families are eventually brought up in conversation. These people will start talking about their siblings, older or younger, brothers or sisters. Sometimes they are closer, other times they aren’t, but regardless, that’s their blood, and they can’t imagine life without them.

When the question comes to me, I always give the same response.

“I’m an only child.”

Of course, the “what’s that like?” questions start coming immediately.

To be honest, it’s kind of hard to describe since it’s all I’ve ever known. Things I thought were normal growing up are not normal to people with siblings.

When I talk to these people, they always seem to tell me that I don’t “act” like an only child. There is kind of a stigma with only children where people kind of have this stereotype that all of us are spoiled brats with sub-par social skills.

In reality, being an only child has actually boosted my social skills in my opinion (contrary to the stereotype). When you’re an only child, you’re forced to be around adults more often than people your own age it seems like. Also, since you’re talking to adults more, you pick up on conversations cues quicker than you would if you were just constantly talking to people who were also children.

I feel like those interactions have pushed me to be the person I am today, as a big part of my personality (and even my job) is talking to people.

In regards to the second part of the stereotype, I wouldn’t say I was spoiled either. Sure, I had a lot of opportunities that I probably would not have had if I had a sibling, but as I got older, when it came down to big ticket items and bills, I paid for a good chunk for them.

Just as these people are interested in knowing what it’s like being an only child, I’m interested in knowing what it’s like to have siblings. I feel like I’m constantly asking my friends about their brothers and sisters, but it’s just so interesting to hear about them.

When I was younger, part of me did wish I had a sibling. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve become okay with not having one.

However, there are still times I wish that I had one. My parents divorced when I was three, so my entire life, I’ve been bouncing back and forth between houses by myself. It’s difficult being the only child between divorced parents, as you’re the only one who really one hundred percent understands the entire situation. Having a sibling with those instances would definitely be helpful.

All in all, being an only child has its perks, and I am very grateful for my life and family. Even though it’s not the most common situation, it’s mine and I would not trade it for anything.

HC XOXO,

Danielle

Danielle Lysik is a senior at USFSP majoring in Marketing with a minor in Mass Communications. Danielle's main passion in life is music and loves going to concerts whenever possible. Aside from music, Danielle loves to read and spend time with her family and friends.