This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Unless you go to college specifically to study music, it can be difficult to maintain (let alone progress) your musical skills. Work, an intense class schedule, volunteering, sports, clubs, and any number of things you may have going on in your life can make carving out time for music seem impossible, or worst yet unimportant in the grand scheme of things. All is not lost however, as here are the tips and tricks I have picked up thus far that have being a musician as well as a college student a reality.

Have an Instrument

Kind of a given, although it’s not always easy. Where you look to purchase an instrument will vary depending on your situation, but one thing that applies across the board is that you want to make sure you see an instrument in person before you buy it. Check out pawn shops, craigslist, and music stores. Large music stores will also often offer rental plans that make getting an expensive instrument far more affordable.

Create Free Time

Having a routine of some sort is important when it comes to being a musician. Dedicating time to practice and making yourself available to go out and perform can be extremely difficult once you’re in college. The good news is that how you go about rectifying this is completely up to you, and the possibilities are endless. If reorganizing your schedule to set aside time to practice every week at the same time works for you then by all means go for it, but you can also set yourself little challenges such as “I’m going to practice for a combined total of two hours this week.” I compare this to doing something like going to the gym: it can be hard to get into initially, but once you start you really get into it, and end up effortlessly putting more time and effort into it voluntarily than you ever would have imagined!

Have a Goal

Practicing or jamming aimlessly isn’t bad in and of itself, but after a certain amount of time it can really stunt your growth. Having a quantifiable output of work is extremely rewarding, and really puts into perspective all that you’re able to accomplish if you put your mind to it. Setting small, manageable, and defined goals such as learning a particular song, writing a certain number of songs, or preparing to play at a particular event help keep you focused and prevent you from falling into a creative rut.

Find (or Start!) a Club

Finding like-minded people is great for fostering motivation to play, as well as creating accountability that makes achieving a musical goal much easier. If you play a classical instrument, try putting together a chamber orchestra or small wind ensemble. A general musician’s club is a great way to bring in people from all walks of life and really broaden your instrumental horizons. Another option is to create a simple “music club”. Chances are you’re bound to draw in some musician’s, and the more relaxed social aspect of this club may be preferable if you have limited or inconsistent availability among your club members.

Find Performance Opportunities in Your Area

Be on the lookout for open mic nights on your campus or in the surrounding area. Another option is to approach businesses such as restaurants for performance opportunities. Woodwind, piano, and classical stringed instrumentalists add a lot to the atmosphere of a fancy restaurant. If you play the guitar, seek out a local coffee shop. Many hospitals and nursing homes also love having musicians play.

Don’t be surprised if you find yourself having to create performance opportunities for yourself. Starting up an open mic night somewhere on your campus, getting a bunch of friends together outside to jam, or approaching the organizers of activities on campus to play at their events are all great ways to get yourself out of your bedroom (or other practice space) and gain a whole new set of experiences.

A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.