This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

There is a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone.

I thought I knew what love was in high school, but in reality, I was not truly wanted by the other party involved. I have an “ex” who isn’t really my ex. He was a boy I liked my junior to senior years of high school, and I read in a magazine once that if you “like” someone for more than four months, you love them. Well, that was not an accurate image to base love on in my young adulthood.

I always knew 2018 would be a big year for me. I would daydream about the year I finally would graduate college, and would (as it happened) get my license and my first car. It happened exactly as I had hoped it would and shortly after I got my driver’s license, I met my boyfriend. Now this isn’t to say it happens like this for everyone, but this is my story.

I always thought I would meet the love of my life when I was finishing college. I tried for years to find love, and it just so happened that every boy or guy I was with before always got me one step closer to finding the real thing. As it turned out, I had never been with a real man.

What I mean by that is a man is someone who treats his woman like an equal. Not just like a notch in his belt. He is honest, he is respectful and he is patient. He is humble, he is kind and he is worth every second of time you give him. I really never thought I would find all of that in one person, and yet I did exactly when I had hoped I would.

Relationships are difficult: I do not discount that. However when you know, you know. It is pretty amazing to fall in love and feel your energy connect with another person in such a way that you always want them in your life. Whether you feel that way platonically towards someone, or you have found the love of your life, it feels really freaking good. The ways you live your life settle into a subtle rhythm of happiness, mild annoyance and hope for the future.

I see a long future with my person. And as Meredith Grey references Christina Yang on Grey’s Anatomy, “He is MY person.”

HCXOXO,

Marilyn

I am 22 years old, and a senior Mass Communications major at USFSP. I am a total foodie, and I love spending time with my cat, Tigger.