Albert Moreno: Outstanding Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Albert Moreno is an English major here at USFSP. He will be graduating with his Bachelor’s in English with a concentration in Writing Studies and a minor in Mass Communications. He will also be attending USFSP for graduate school, where he will be pursuing his Masters in Liberal Arts. He’s not sure exactly what he wants to do after graduation but is considering either becoming a professor or getting started in politics. Albert is the recipient of the outstanding graduate award for the Fall 2016 semester and will be graduating on Sunday, December 11th.

When Albert first got the email that he was chosen as the outstanding graduate for the semester, he really couldn’t believe that he, of all people, was chosen. He said, “Typically recognitions are given to those who like attention and also make an effort to have attention on the things they are part of. This is not who I am. I enjoy creating opportunities for others and helping others, but I’ve never felt the need to be credited for doing something that should be first nature to any of us.”  After overcoming his shock, he instantly tried to think of ways he could use this award to prove to society that being a convicted felon does not mean that you will keep failing your entire life. He wasn’t going to let the stereotype discourage or deter him from following his dreams and continuing his life despite society’s views on convicts.

He was motivated most in life because he had to “Lead a life opposite of those who discriminated against him.” He said several people helped him and challenged him to do best in his life: “My family (mother, brother Derek Moreno, and even my ex-wife, Jessica) have all challenged me in different ways to become a better person, to not give up, and to help, sometimes in unconventional ways, to focus on what my goals are.There are also a few professors that have really contributed to my success (SPC Professors Ned Johnson and Susan Zwieg) and (USFSP Professors Trey Conner and Jill McCracken).Their commitment to mentoring me through the process that is higher education has instilled patience, critical thinking, and a deeper appreciation for striving for positive change.”

Despite all the obstacles life threw at him, he never felt like giving up during his career as a student. He was more concerned about what would happen if he gave up. “If I gave up, I would be giving up on my son, on the felons trying to do right, their families, and the opportunity for a more equal future,” he commented.

Being a veteran himself, Albert works on campus at the Military and Veterans Success Center and is also the secretary for the Student Veteran Organization. At the MVSC, he said that he “Helps student veterans with any issues they may have, mostly applying their benefits.” He is also currently working on a “Peer mentoring program for student veterans that will help them with their college experience.”

USFSP is definitely proud to have a student like Albert.

HC xoxo,

Alyssa Harmon  

Alyssa Harmon is a senior at USFSP and is majoring in English Writing Studies and minoring in Mass Communication. For her senior year, she is also working on her thesis project for the Honors College. She is the current senior editor for the USFSP Her Campus chapter, as well as the 2017-2018 president and the 2018-2019 vice president for the Alpha Xi Phi chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. In addition, she is the editor-in-chief of Papercut Literary Journal. Alyssa lived all around the country until 2013 when she and her family moved to Florida. Alyssa has a passion for reading and writing, and she's been doing that since she learned how to. Once she graduates, she wants to hopefully publish a book of some of her poetry and work as a copy editor at a publishing company. When she's not doing homework, you can find her downtown, at the beach, or in a bookstore.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.