This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Growing up, I never read the Harry Potter books. I adamantly watched the movies, which makes sense since I have been a movieholic for basically my whole life. But things were going to change when I signed up for a class this past summer that required me to read all the Harry Potter books. “Oh gosh, I haven’t read a book in ages. How am I going to read those long, stuffy Harry Potter books?? I have to read one of them a week! I totally won’t be able to do it,” were just some of my thoughts.

However, as soon as I picked up Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, I couldn’t put it down! I was quickly amazed at how intrigued I was by these books. I think watching the movies during my childhood helped with this, as now I wanted to learn even more about Harry Potter’s story that wasn’t featured in the movies.

Although young in age, Harry Potter and his story really resonated with me. Harry Potter proves that age is just a number. At only 11 years old, he’s brave enough to stand up to Voldemort, defend his friends’ honor, and so much more. He’s a great role model for kids and adults, for he stands for courage, bravery, goodness and integrity. I know it sounds cliche, but Harry Potter inspires me. Through the books and movies, he shows me that I can do anything, as long as I believe in myself and have a really good support system.

One of my favorite moments in Harry Potter actually happened in the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. It was the moment when Harry finds the mirrors. This part of the book simultaneously broke and filled my heart. Harry finds this mirror that shows him the one thing he wants the most in the world: his parents. He sees them in the mirror and just sits there for hours, looking at them. I was so happy for Harry that he got to have that moment where he finally could *sort of* be eye-to-eye with his parents, but it also broke my heart that he would never truly get to be with them again.

Taking this class that forced me to read all seven Harry Potter books honestly was the best thing that’s happened to me in a while. Through this class I rediscovered my love and passion for reading, which I feel like has been a missing part of my life for the last couple of years. Getting to read these amazing stories and forgetting about the pressures of reality is such a great thing for a person like myself, and who knew that Harry Potter would be the boy who is my real-life hero.

It’s crazy how a single book can completely change your life for the better. I encourage you all to go out to your local bookstores, find a book that intrigues you and start reading! Sometimes you just need to escape reality and enter into a new world full of exciting stories and wonders.

HCXOXO,

Kelli

Hi, I'm Kelli Carmack! I am a senior Mass Communications Major at USFSP with a minor in Art History. I'm currently the Co-President of Her Campus at USFSP, a leadership role I hold dear to my heart. I have some pretty big dreams for myself. I plan on getting into the broadcast journalism and/or entertainment field. I hope to one day be the next Barbara Walters, sitting down with prominent people and asking them those hard-hitting questions. While I'm not busy focusing on my career goals, I enjoy going to the beach, painting and reading!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.