7 Chance The Rapper Songs About Growing Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Chance? The Rapper? Yes, I think we all know who he is – Lil Chano from 79th. Kanye’s prodigy. That ‘90s kid who seems to consistently write verses relating our generation’s nostalgic nature to our appreciation for a sense of belonging.

Here are seven songs in which Chance has made growing up seem a little less scary and a little more like a walk we are all taking together:

1. Nostalgia

Nostalgia is a perfectly well-crafted melody embodying wistful longing in itself. All ‘90s kids will appreciate this song due to its references to things such as the old “orange and white cassette tapes” and the games most 20-something-year-olds will remember playing when they were young.  It captures that feeling of missing our childhoods solely through Chance’s thoughtful allusions and descriptions of what his day-to-day life once was like.

2. Family Matters

Ask anyone from Chicago – anyone from Illinois – about Family Matters. The song, which samples Kanye West’s Family Business, is an affectionate ode to Lil Chano’s friends and family, but also largely an ode to the city of Chicago itself. And all Chicagoans are bound to let you know it. Seriously.

3. Hey Ma

When somebody writes a song for their mother, we all feel it. Hey Ma is like a present Chance has carefully wrapped for his mother a month before Christmas: It just shows how much care goes into giving back to those who watched us grow up.

4. Blessings

When you are feeling down, just remember all you have to be thankful for and listen to Blessings.

5. Summer Friends

It is almost too much to handle when you hear Bon Iver’s hauntingly depressing vocals before the first verse. Summer Friends takes us back to the days when certain people used to be around and we used to spend every day with them. A good song for reminiscence, gratitude for those days which were well spent, and closure.

6. Broad Shoulders

Listening to a song in which both Chance and his brother rap/sing about growing up is a beautiful thing. Caution: You will feel a lot if you dare to listen to Broad Shoulders – It will almost be like putting too much weight on your “shoulders.”

7. Ultralight Beam

The soulfulness – It’s surreal. Chance’s part hits the ball out of the park as he sings our worries away and raps about keeping your faith alive.

Visit chanceraps.com to check out Chance the Rapper’s tour dates, listen to songs, and buy yourself a Chance 3 cap.

HC with care,

One ‘90s kid to another,

Megan

Megan Hammer is a junior at USFSP and is majoring in Global Business. She loves to travel, write, and listen to music. She is a musician herself, so she enjoys playing with other musicians in her spare time. An Illinois native, she is interested in experiencing different cultures and trying new things. Some places she has traveled to include Monaco, France, Germany, Italy, and England. Megan is constantly on the lookout for her next great adventure. She dreams of joining a volunteer service organization and giving time to communities in South America or Africa. As President & Campus Correspondent, she proudly represents the USFSP Her Campus chapter.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.