This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

It’s that time again. You’ve gathered all of your girls, promised each other the perfect night out, but there’s one problem: you’re broke. We’ve all been there, especially since we’re in college. But even living in the heart of downtown St. Petersburg, there are bargains around every corner; it’s just a matter of knowing where to look. Here’s five places to check out for your next girls night out.

The Avenue / 330 1st Ave. S

The Avenue, less than a 10-minute walk from campus, is a spot known for its outrageous burger options. The average meal, which includes a drink, is under $20, and USFSP students get a 10% discount with their ID. The restaurant is open until 3 a.m. on the weekends and offers a $10-and-under late night menu. And, if you and your girls are over 21, be sure to check out their drink menu. I’d recommend the Front Porch Tea.

Photo courtesy of Downtown St. Pete.

Kilwins / 222 Beach Dr. NE

If your G.N.O. includes a craving for sweets, and let’s be honest, it’s rare that it doesn’t, be sure to check out Kilwins. Though there’s an irresistible variety of treats to choose from — caramel apples, fudge, taffy and more — one of the best items on the menu is the ice cream (my personal favorites are Cookie Dough and Superman, though there’s at least 20 options to choose from); when you can get a double scoop in a waffle dish for less than $10, it’s worth every penny. It’s located right by Stillwaters Tavern and BellaBrava, and makes a great spot to people watch. Or watch one of the creators from Kilwin’s make their homemade fudge, from inside the store or at a table outside.

Photo courtesy of Trip Advisor.

Muvico Sundial 19 / 151 2nd Ave. N

Perhaps the longest tradition for a girls night is taking a trip to the movies. Whether you and your girls choose to watch one of the latest horror films, Don’t Breathe or Lights Out, or the newest comedy, like Sausage Party, be sure to stop by Muvico on Tuesday. I just recently discovered that they are now offering $5 movies all day long on Tuesday, and am not embarrassed to admit that I know where I will be spending my time distressing from Monday classes. Not to mention, it’s only a block away from Kilwin’s, and about a fifteen minute walk from campus.

Photo courtesy of Yelp.

The Dali / 1 Dali Blvd.

While it may not be open late, those with a love of art, or groups that are looking to do something different than go to the movies or out for dinner, The Dali is an exciting museum to visit with your friends. Of course, most enticing is the fact that USFSP students get in for free, as long as they bring their ID. The exhibits are constantly changing, so each time you go, you’re guaranteed a new experience. While you’re there, be sure to check out the maze, which overlooks the water and is located next to the tree where guests can leave their colorful wristbands.

Photo courtesy of Downtown St. Pete.

Jannus Live / 200 1st Ave. N

Usually, when big-name bands and artists perform, it isn’t just around the corner – but in St. Pete, we’re lucky enough that it is. Even if you only know one song, a concert always make for an incredible time. Or, at least, in my opinion, it is. That saying rings true especially when the concert has a general admission price of just $15, or sometimes, in the case of Jannus Live, is free. If your girls have a love for music, of any kind, be sure to plan one of your nights out at this venue, which is less than a fifteen minute walk from campus.

Photo courtesy of Creative Loafing Tampa Bay.

Anna Welch is a senior at USFSP and is majoring in Mass Communications, with a minor in Psychology. She loves to write, listen to music, and watch horror films. Every October, you can find her preparing for her annual trip to Halloween Horror Nights. When she isn't busy listening to music or going to the beach with friends, she's spending her time cuddling with her miniature dachshund (wiener dog), Bella. After graduating from USFSP, she plans to work for a newspaper and help make a change in communities.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.