2013 Academy Award Favorites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

When advertising starts popping up for awards season, it’s pretty typical for women to care about fashion and men (if they care at all) to care about the nominations/awards. We are more interested in an uninvited nipple-slip, million dollar jewelry, and whether or not anyone trips down the red carpet. This year, we saw plenty of “what was she thinking?” appearances, but we were also graced with some beautiful gowns and hairstyles. You’ve probably already chosen your favorites, but here are our choices for best dressed!

Jennifer Lawrence in Dior Haute Couture: I think Jennifer Lawrence is officially the cutest thing in the world. Not only is she funny and down-to-earth (hello, have you seen some of her GIF’s on pinterest) but she is beautiful and an amazing actress! If you haven’t seen Silver Linings Playbook yet, DO IT! Her performance is really powerful and her relationship with Bradley Cooper is totally believable- I hope I’m not the only one wishing they would get together off-screen.

Naomi Watts in Armani Prive: Naomi has always had such great style, but this dress has got to be a top contender for her wardrobe. The geomtric shaping of the top adds such a unique look to an otherwise simple gown, and she looks stunning! I haven’t seen The Impossible yet, but it has to be good if she was nominated and it is officially on my list of must-see films.

Kristin Chenoweth in Tony Ward: Besides having one of the most beautiful voices ever, Kristin Chenoweth knows how to pick her acting roles. I must admit, I loved her on Glee! even if her character was a little annoyingly clingy to Mr. Schuester. This decorative gown is so unique I just had to include it in my list. I love the details on the top, and the slightly elongated back to create a train is so gorgeous! While I wouldn’t have done her hair up, or at least not so tight, I just fell in love with this as soon as I saw it.

Samantha Barks in Valentino: Can she be any more beautiful? I was never rooting for her character in Les Miserables, but wow-the girl sure knows how to clean up! Samantha definitely went more casual for this years red carpet, but she still looks flawless. The slightly messy hair ads just enough edge and the plunging neckline is so daring and really shows off her figure. This dress is a 10 out of 10 for me.

Samantha Barks (again) during her Les Miserables performance wearing a dress by Jenny Packham: Yes, I know I included Samantha Barks twice, but I just loved her performance dress, especially because it was so different from the dress she arrived at the red carpet in. As I said before, she can really clean up nice, and the more refined and elegant hair is so perfect with this dress. With a more modest neckline, the slit up the leg is just enough to add a little sex-appeal but still keeps her looking classy.

Robin Roberts in Mark Bouwer: After battling cancer and having a bone marrow transplant, I think Robin looks better than ever! This gown hangs so beautifully on her and the color is just perfect and she is practically glowing! I am not a huge fan of the material, but her subtle jewelry and the detailing of the crossed fabric on the top of the gown pulls this look together and she looks absolutely fabulous.

Kerry Washington in Miu Miu: Kerry chose such a beautiful shade of coral/pink for this event, and the details on the top of the gown make the simplicity of the bottom work together very nicely. The train is just long enough to add a little drama without having to worry about anyone stepping on it or getting tripped up if she had to walk up any stairs. Even though her film Django Unchained lost to Ben Affleck’s Argo, she certainly still looked like a winner to anyone that saw her.

Even though I could only pick a few gowns to showcase as favorites for the evening, there were so many more that looked absolutely beautiful! We are already counting down the days until the next Academy Awards…can’t wait! Who were your favorites for the evening?

Emily is a senior at USFSP studying English Literature. She has been with Her Campus for one year and one month, and loves all the friends she has made by joining. Her hobbies include reading, spending time with friends, baking, and catching up on her favorite television shows. Her favorite thing about Her Campus is the ability to write about things that are relevant to girls her own age, as well as covering fun campus events. She looks forward to her last semesters of under graduate study and Her Campus USFSP.