2 DIY Face Masks That Actually Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

2 DIY Face masks that actually work.

Everyone deals with breakouts and clogged pores, but sometimes they are extremely hard to get rid of. I have struggled my whole life with acne and I am always looking for a solution to my skin problems. I did some research and tested out 2 different DIY face mask recipes you can make at home that cost less than five dollars each! Hopefully one of these face masks will help your troubled skin. PS. These are also a great idea to try with a friend!

Before:

Mask 1

The first mask we tried is supposed to tighten your skin and get rid of all the dead skin cells. It is also supposed to kill all the acne-causing bacteria! Honey is naturally an antibacterial so when it is applied to your skin, it not only gets rid of all the germs but it also moisturizes and tones your skin, therefore, restoring your skin’s natural PH balance. Next, cinnamon is used as an exfoliant and also a drying component. When cinnamon is applied to your skin it dries out all the inflamed acne and brings blood and oxygen to the outer skin surface.

Directions:

1. Acne Buster                        

• 1 part cinnamon

• 3 parts honey

• Mix well until thick dark brown paste

• Leave on for 10 min.

• Gently rinse off in circular motions to exfoliate the dead skin. (WARNING: This may tingle)

• Apply moisturizer

• Your skin should feel soft, refreshed and tight afterward!

Mask 2    

The second mask we tried is supposed to leave your skin smooth, hydrated, and clean.  It should also calm down any redness you may have. First, olive oil is used for hydrating properties and anti-aging antioxidants. This will keep your skin soft but also provide you relief from the redness. Next, add honey for its antibacterial properties and then a dash of baking soda to really clean out those black and white heads.

Directions:

1. Smooth Skin

• 3 parts honey

• 2 parts olive oil

• 1 part baking soda

• Mix until paste

• Leave on for 10 min.

• Rinse off thoroughly with lukewarm water

• Your skin should feel soft, smooth, clean, and hydrated!

After:

Leah Germain is a sophomore mass communications major at the University of South Florida St. Peterburg. She has passions of acting, singing, modeling, makeup/ skincare, and fashion. She aspires to one day be a media broadcaster and hopefully be the next Katie Couric but until then she can be found in her spare time at Starbucks, singing in the car, or getting her nails done. Leah Germain lives in Saint Petersburg, Florida.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.