12 Ways to Style Natural Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

12 Ways to Style Your Hair

These will probably be the fastest and easiest hairstyles you’ll ever do, EVER. The only thing you need is a little amount of time and four hair ties. (Yes, I only typed four hair ties. Trust me, it’s possible) Let’s get started!

1.The Up-do Ponytail

This hairstyle is good for accessories and for making sure there is no hair in your face. If your hair is longer in the front than in the back, then this style is for you. All you have to do is take a fourth of your hair in the front and put it in pony tail. You can add a cute tiara like I did, if you ‘bout that life.

2.The Up-do Bun

If the front of your hair is a little damaged, then putting it in a bun could easily hide that (and in a pretty way). This hairstyle is for small accessories so people can see your nice bun. This is the same steps as the “The Up-do Ponytail”. The only difference is to put the front hair in a bun. To make the style look neat, make sure you brush up your ponytail or even add some smoothing product. The bun allows for people to see the roots of your hair so if any hair is sticking out, it’s obvious. Keep it neat and you’ll look sweet.

3.The Actual Up-do

This hairstyle is one of the fastest hairstyle I’ve ever encountered. It also is good for a hot day because there is no hair on your neck and face. If your makeup is on fleek, this hairstyle is for you. PLUS! If your curls are on point, this hairstyle easily shows that off. It’s literally just putting your hair in a high ponytail. To give more volume, loosen the hair tie or use a bigger hair tie. But wait, there’s more. You can go to sleep in this hairstyle and still look amazing. You could finally be like Beyoncé and wake up like this, minus the makeup.

4.The Pompadour

This style works well when you’re trying to show off the length of your hair in the back. It also doesn’t put too much hair in your face so the wind can blow as much as it wants, you don’t have any worries. This style is like a cheat because you can wear you hair down without dealing with “my hair is down” problems. The first step is to part the pompadour. Once that is done, style the pompadour the way you want, then twist the ends. Take a section of your hair in the middle and put it in a ponytail with the pompadour to keep it down. You could also use hair pins but this way works if you only have hair ties. Next, take the left and right sides of your hair and put it in a ponytail, together, in the back of your hair. You are now in a different hairstyle!

5.The Half Minnie Mouse

This is hands down one of my favorite hairstyles. It’s like Disney in the front and MTV in the back. This style is also easy to wrap up at night. You wake up and it’s still in two nice buns. If your edges are struggling, this style helps prevent people from seeing that struggle. All that needs to be done is to part a fourth of your hair in the front. Then part that fourth in half; put each half in a ponytail then in a bun. If you’re feeling lazy with the bun, you could leave your hair out and still look fantastic.

6.The Red Sea

If your edges (the hair that is the perimeter of the front of your head) are looking flawless, this style may be perfect for you. This style works for when your face is almost as nice as your edges, simply because the front is pulled back. So if you finally did perfect winged eyeliner, use this hairstyle to show it off. All you have to do is part the fourth of your hair. It’s called the Red Sea because you part the hair in half. You can braid or twist each half. I chose to twist because it’s easier and faster but, it’s up to you. Once both halves are done, put them to the back in a ponytail. BAM! Now we can see more of that beautiful face.

7.The Tied and to the Side

If you’re feeling a little lazy but a lot of crazy, you’re welcome that I came up with this style for you. This style works well if you had an AWESOME pair of earrings but lost one. You don’t have to wear both earrings with this style, so rock the one earring. This style also shows off the length of your hair. Take one side of your hair and put it in a back ponytail then pull it to the side. If you don’t want to use a ponytail, you could braid or twist it to the side. Be free!

8.The Three Thirds

I call this style the Three Thirds because your hair is doing three different things. The front of your hair is a bang that you can easily adjust. The middle part of your hair is put into a simple ponytail then the back is left to hang and look long and curly. This style also works for those into huge earrings. Time to see those hoops!

9.The Big Bang

Although it’s called the Big Bang, trust me, this style is so much easier than the theory. This style works for when you’re tired of having your hair all over your neck. For those who are so accustomed to the huge ponytail, try to expand and give the style a chance. How to do the style is to take half (or how much you feel comfortable with) and put that in a high ponytail. Then style the front into a bang.

10.The Can’t Commit

This is one of the styles that let’s people know that you’re fun, crazy and easy to work with. Basically, you’d take the back of your hair and put it into a high ponytail. The front can be styled based on what you prefer. I chose to have mine parted in the middle to keep it fun but, it’s still up to you.

11.The Full Minnie Mouse

If the Half Minnie Mouse wasn’t enough for you, don’t worry, I gotchu! For the extra crazy and enthusiastic people out there trying to exemplify themselves in their hairstyles, this is for you! And this is a extra easy one as well. Just part your hair down the middle, all the way to the back middle of your head. Then put both halves in a ponytail. You are now Minnie Mouse. You’re Welcome. P.S. you can put the two ponytails in buns for that extra Minnie Mouse effect.

12.The You

The best hairstyles are hairstyles that show one’s personality. If you love yourself as much as you love your hair, this style is for you. It’s just one step: Wear. Your. Own. Hair. Down. Sometimes styling is a hassle therefore just wearing your natural hair out makes things a little easier. This is the easiest hairstyle! Just be yourself, and the hair will follow.

Choya Randolph is a Mass Communication major at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. She loves writing blogs and yearns to be writer for magazines or television entertainment. She's a junior and is bound to graduate Fall 2015. She plans to go to graduate school to get her Masters. To contact Choya email her at choya@mail.usf.edu
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.