10 Things You Probably Don’t Know About Breast Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

1.85 percent of women who are diagnosed have no breast cancer history in their family. In fact only 5-10 percent of breast cancers can be traced to an inherited gene.

2.Men can be diagnosed with breast cancer…BUT only 1 in 1,000 men are diagnosed, leading to over 400 deaths a year. On the other hand, women are 200 times more at risk of being diagnosed.

3.Overweight and obese women are almost 2 times more at risk of being diagnosed; exercise actually reduces risk for all weights.

4.Women who are diagnosed, are four times more likely to get diagnosed with breast cancer again.

5.Think smoking is only a risk for lung cancer? Wrong! Smokers have a higher risk of getting breast cancer than nonsmokers.

6.1 out of 8 women are diagnosed with breast cancer. This leads to 3 million women being diagnosed each year. HOWEVER, there are over 2.5 million survivors in currently in the U.S.

7.Breast cancer could be located in the collarbone and armpit due to breast tissues being in those areas.

8.Nipple discharge and itching are also symptoms of breast cancer, it isn’t just lumps.

9.There are many types of breast cancers, but the tumors usually are under three categories: Progesterone Receptor, Estrogen Receptor and Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2.

10.A huge prevention of breast cancer is being aware. So wear your pink ribbons proud!

If you would like to donate to help cure breast cancer or just for more information, follow the link below!

http://www.thebreastcancercharities.org/

Choya Randolph is a Mass Communication major at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. She loves writing blogs and yearns to be writer for magazines or television entertainment. She's a junior and is bound to graduate Fall 2015. She plans to go to graduate school to get her Masters. To contact Choya email her at choya@mail.usf.edu
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.