Life > Experiences

Your Social Guide to Solo Travel, from an Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Traveling solo is something that many young people find intimidating, especially introverts. As an introvert, I thought that solo travel may never be an option for me, as sometimes doing things alone even locally would stop me in my tracks. However, after solo traveling in multiple countries for different lengths of time and with different purposes, I can confidently say, it is 100% possible and worth it, even for introverts.

Everyone has different levels of their social battery and needs to rejuvenate themselves differently, so this is in no way an exhaustive guide for how you should do everything. You know yourself better than anyone else. Hopefully, this guide will help you learn some different ways to put yourself out there and take the leap of faith to solo travel!

Go to your top destination

Although this may seem obvious, as who is to stop you from going where you want to go when you’re going alone, it makes a huge difference while on the ground. If you choose a destination because of some list telling you that it is the best place to solo travel but it doesn’t really interest you, you are less likely to enjoy your experience. Some places are easier for solo travelers to find friends and go on tours, but that doesn’t mean it is the best destination for you.

Choose somewhere that excites you! If you choose a country or region that has previously piqued your interest, you’re more likely to have ideas and the desire to go out and make it happen.

Research the travel culture of your destination

There is no shortage of travel videos on YouTube, so use them to your advantage! I love to watch videos of other solo travelers going to different destinations that I am interested in before going to get a true feel for what to expect. Sometimes they’ll even offer some useful advice on places to stay, tours to join or general tips that will help make your experience as a solo traveler more enjoyable.

Some travel YouTubers that frequently solo travel that I really enjoy watching are:

Christianne of Backpacking Bananas

Eva zu Beck

Miss Trudy

Nathaniel Drew

Find a hostel that fits your interests and needs

Scrolling through travel TikTok, party hostels tend to dominate the feed. But do not fear if that doesn’t sound like the type of scene you want to sleep in, so many more types of hostels are out there! From environmentally-conscious hostels to hostels with co-working spaces, you can find a hostel that meets your needs while traveling just about anywhere. The OG tool for finding hostels is Hostelworld, but check out these lists for co-working hostels, eco hostels, and just google whatever your needs are to find ones to fit your needs.

Hostels aren’t only basic bunks with hall bathrooms, many hostels now have curtains dividing beds, bathrooms private to each room, pools and more. Do your research when booking hostels, choose based on location, amenities, room types and whatever your interests are.

Pick tours based on your interests, not just what you are told to see

If you picked one of your top destinations to travel to, finding tours and places to go that interest you shouldn’t be too difficult. Museums and galleries aren’t for everyone, and that is okay. However, you should find tours that interest you, and they’re an excellent way to find potential friends or travel buddies that share common interests! 

If you’re interested in going to museums, galleries, historic sites, religious sights, etc. be sure to check their websites in advance to see if you need to book tickets or if there are any reduced rates that you are eligible for. In many places, there are reduced or free rates for students and/or people under 26 years old, so be sure to look out for those opportunities. 

If you are interested in guided tours of a city or place, I highly recommend going on a food tour or pub/bar crawl to get to know others, the place and the scenery. Many hostels will have these tours for free and you just have to sign up at reception. If your hostel doesn’t have a tour of this kind, google what you’re looking for and where and check out various online sites, such as FreeTour.

Generally, checking in with what kinds of tours your hostel has is a great way to meet others that are staying with you, and see the area. Not only do many hostels offer walking tours of the immediate area, but many have weekly excursions to local areas, or even offer a WhatsApp group to connect with others staying in the hostel that may want to organize something different, but together.

Enjoy, and take care of yourself

Last, but certainly not least, enjoy yourself! If you’re out and about seeing new places and meeting new people you’ll have lots of fun, but don’t forget to take care of yourself. Taking a day to recharge, hang out by yourself or just do what you want to do is 100% valid and necessary from time to time. Don’t beat yourself up for “losing” one day of experiences to make every other day more enjoyable. You deserve it, and you’ll occasionally need it!

Solo travel isn’t as intimidating as it may seem, go out and enjoy the world. The most important relationship of your life is with yourself, and solo travel is a great way to truly make that relationship your best!

MaryCate (she/her) is a graduate of the University of San Francisco with a BA in International Studies. MaryCate is now a Master's student at Sciences Po in Paris, France studying European Affairs and Global Health.