Views from the 6 Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Views from the 6 Album Review

“Views from the 6,” Drake’s fourth studio album, was released on April 29, 2016 after months of anticipation.  Fun Fact: He chose this release date because the month April with the year 2016 makes 4/16, which is the area code of his hometown of Toronto that he never fails to represent.  His album was also released in the same week as Beyonce’s so it had a huge act to follow as well as competition for attention.

First of all, if you’ve been a fan of Drake since his Best I Ever Had​, Over, Find Your Love days, you’re allowed to have your own opinion on this album because you were a fan from the beginning.  All of Drake’s previous albums and mixtapes are unique in their own ways and have their own share of popular songs.  But this 20-track album was different from the rest because of the variety of songs and quality of his collaborations.  His biggest single off the album, Hotline Bling, blew up before the album release for its catchiness as well as his interesting dance moves in the music video (if you haven’t seen it I suggest you do).  If this song wasn’t stuck in your head for at least a week after you first heard it, something is probably wrong with you.  Two of his other pre released singles, Pop Style, and One Dance, climbed to the top of the charts.  One Dance doesn’t sound like anything Drake has ever made before.  Sounding almost like a mix between a salsa class and funky house, if this song doesn’t make you want to dance, something is probably wrong with you.  My personal favorites on the album are Feel No Ways and Controlla because they’re up beat, but his album has a little bit of everything; straight rap, slow songs, fast songs, and those that make you want to get up and dance. 

Drake also collaborates with huge names in this album including: Future, PARTYNEXTDOOR, and Rihanna. Too Good with Rihanna seriously lives up to its name.  They both sing more than they rap and the fast tempo is different and a nice change of pace from his usual songs.  With You ft PARTYNEXTDOOR is another hit because when you put two musical geniuses together – you get amazing work.  The term “Drake and Drive,” is a joke to describe the act of “listening to Drake’s music while driving, ending up crying and then showing up at your ex’s house without knowing it.” Although Drake is constantly made fun of for being “soft” because of his deep and emotional lyrics, he is a lyrical genius and this album definitely proves that.  My favorite lyrics from the album are on U With Me? and Views

If you’ve only heard the mainstream songs, you should definitely take a listen to the entire album.  You can find his album on apple music, or stream it online at http://remysounds.com/drake-views-leaked-released-full-album/ .

Don’t Drake and Drive!

Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!