Career > Her20s

USFCA Editors’ Cut: What Each Sign Needs to Drink Over Break (21+)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

You deserve a drink. You survived this soon to be infamous year and you survived yet another semester in the middle of it! This Winter Break will come with all of the emotions, so why not kick back, crack a cold one and let what needs to be, be.

Typically our mood and weather decide what drink we will be having, but why not switch it up a bit and let your Zodiac sign decide?

Capricorn (December 22 – January 19)

You’re straightforward and ambitious. A timeless, yet simple, classic has your name written all over it.

Dry Martini

½ oz. Dry Vermouth

2 ½ oz. Gin

Ice

Combine the vermouth and gin in a cocktail shaker with ice, shake for about 30 seconds, strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with a lemon twist or green olives. Enjoy!

Aquarius (January 20 – February 19)

You have a habit of overthinking, so a simple drink is likely a good option for you.

Tequila Soda

1 oz. Tequila

3 oz. Soda Water/Club Soda/Seltzer Water/Sparkling Water

1-2 Wedges of Fresh Lime

Ice

Fill a glass with ice, pour in the tequila, squeeze some fresh lime wedges in, top off with soda water and stir to combine. Enjoy!

Pisces (February 20 – March 20)

You tend to be dreamy and loving, so something simple, yet cuddly is a great choice for you.

Red Wine

Your favorite bottle, box or can of red wine served just below room temperature will do the job. Enjoy!

Aries (March 21 – April 20)

You’re impulsive and energetic, naturally, shots are where it’s at for you. When kicking back and staying in, there are still some casual options with your name on them.

Jalapeño Margarita

1 ½ oz. Tequila

2 Slivers of a Jalapeño Pepper

½ oz. Grand Marnier

1 oz. Fresh Lime Juice

½ oz. Simple Syrup

Ice

Put a sliver of jalapeño into the tequila and let it infuse for 15 minutes, the longer you leave it the stringers the taste will get. Then combine all remaining ingredients and garnish with lime slices or jalapeños. Enjoy!

Taurus (April 21 – May 20)

You have an expensive, yet simple taste. Nothing can ever meet your standard like a good glass of bubbly.

Champagne

Pop your favorite bottle of chilled bubbly and enjoy!

Gemini (May 21 – June 20)

You’re always changing your mind and mood, so something broad and inclusive is the only fit for you.

Beer

Whether it is a light white beer, a fruity summer beer or hearty stout, there is a beer for everyone. Enjoy!

Cancer (June 21 – July 22)

Your water sign self is emotional, there is only one drink that can soothe your emotions.

Rosé 

Crack your favorite bottle of chilled rosé and enjoy the sweet taste. Enjoy!

Leo (July 23 – August 22)

You’re bold and love to be the center of attention, so nothing would be more fitting than one of the flashiest cocktails of all time.

Espresso Martini

1⅓ oz. Vodka

⅔ oz. Kahlua

⅔ oz. Espresso

Ice

Fill a shaker with ice and add all of the ingredients. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass, garnish with coffee beans (optional). Enjoy!

Virgo (August 23 – September 22)

You’re simple and straightforward, nothing extravagant is needed to satisfy you, so long as it is good.

Vodka Soda

1⅓ oz. Vodka

5 oz. Soda Water/Club Soda/Seltzer Water/Sparkling Water

½ oz. Lime Juice

2 Wheels of Lime

Ice

Fill a glass with ice, add all of the ingredients, stir to combine and garnish with the lime wheels. Enjoy!

Libra (September 23 – October 22)

You’re in constant pursuit of balance and equality, so why settle for anything less with your drink? More than two ingredients aren’t needed for you.

Rum and Coke

2 oz. Rum

5 oz. Coke

Ice

Fill a glass with ice, add the remaining ingredients and serve. Optional: garnish with a lime wedge or top off with lime juice. Enjoy!

Scorpio (October 23 – November 22)

You’re mysterious and private, a flashy and inviting drink just won’t suit you. Why not try something different?

Manhattan

2 oz. Bourbon

1 oz. Sweet Vermouth

3 Dashes Bitters

Ice

Add all of the ingredients to a mixing glass with ice and stir well until chilled, strain into a coupe and garnish with a brandied cherry (optional). Enjoy!

Sagittarius (November 23 – December 21)

You’re here to please the crowds but also learn a new thing or two. Naturally, something classic and widespread has your name all over it.

Gin and Tonic

2 oz. Gin

4 oz. Tonic Water

Lime Wedge

Ice

Combine the gin, tonic water and ice in a glass, gently stir to not lose the carbonation. Once combined garnish with a lime wedge. Enjoy!

Cheers to surviving another hectic year! Enjoy your adult juice and stay strong!

MaryCate (she/her) is a graduate of the University of San Francisco with a BA in International Studies. MaryCate is now a Master's student at Sciences Po in Paris, France studying European Affairs and Global Health.
Marisa is a senior @ USFCA in the sustainability and global affairs sphere, thinking about emerging economies, outreach and innovation. A digital nomad & explorer with a curious mind– and an accidental empanada connoisseur!