Summer In the City: 5 Things to do if You’re Stuck in SF this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Most of us go back to our hometowns for the summer, but if you’re, for whatever reason (work, summer school, etc.) going to be in the city this June, July, and August, here are five suggestions to help you make the most out of your vacation. Although summers in SF aren’t quite the same as summers in SoCal, there are still a lot of cool things to do!

1. Hit the Beach. Use your smart phone to check the weather and be on the lookout for warm and sunny days to hit the beach with friends! 

2. Alcatraz Island. You probably need to plan this in advance, but Alcatraz Island is a must see in SF. I’ve heard that the night tours are really scary, but super fun!

2. Go Bookstore Sampling. As a nerdy English Lit major, I am always obsessing over all the cool bookstores in the city. The last one I visited was an adorable Haight Street shop called Booksmith. Get your summer reading on!

4. I shouldn’t condone clubbing, but… If you are of age, hit the clubs! San Francisco is one of the coolest, most diverse cities in the country, so of course it has amazing nightlife! Take advantage of it.

5. Fisherman’s Wharf and Pier 39. Get your tourist on and head down to the water for some great sea food and saltwater taffy in giant barrels!

Classic San Francisco stuff. How much would it suck to graduate and have to move back home and realize that you never did any of it?! Live. It. Up.

Happy almost summer!

Natalie is a freshman at the University of San Francisco. She is an English major with an emphasis in Literature and is an active member of the Xi Lambda chapter of Delta Zeta sorority.