This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

The Process to Finding Your Inner Beauty

As our society moves forward in a ever digital, instant, and shallow (yes it is) place, beauty is often reduced to merely the physical form. Comparison of one’s self to another becomes instantaneous. As we scroll through others lives and allow others to scroll through ours, we lose clarity of the truth. We know the stereotypical saying, “Beauty is skin deep,” and any beauty related quote as told by Audrey Hepburn, but really what inner beauty is acceptance and appreciation of one’s self.

“Beauty is when you can appreciate yourself. When you love yourself, that’s when you’re most beautiful.” – Zoe Kravitz

Love and appreciation of yourself doesn’t come easy. It’s a journey. Though we may want instant gratification of having it. It takes time and baby steps each and every day. Here are five tips to help your appreciate, love, and be thankful for yourself. In return, your beauty will not only radiate to others, but to yourself.

1. Take time to sit back and write down all of your good qualities.

In a journal, uninterrupted, jot down only your good qualities with examples of when you personified it.

2. Go Easy on Yourself

We are often our own harshest critic. Be easy and have patience with yourself.

3. Release whatever fantasy you have of what you expect to be

Society often puts into our heads what our lives should be. When we don’t amount to those expectations it hurts us. Release what you’ve been told and believe what you want for yourself.

4. Sit in front of a mirror and listen to what you want

Listen with your mind and heart, what you really, really want.

5. Redirect negative thoughts

Negative thoughts can often sour our whole day. If a negative thought comes, let it pass, don’t resist, and enforce positive thinking instead.

Remember self-love and acceptance is a process. Beauty is not just a physical quality. It is internal as well.

I am the lucky descent of the Pisces Zodiac. Which by default makes me an escapist; which could explain why at a young age that I found my love for books. Starting with Junie B. Jones to House of Night and the beyond. I tend to find myself often debating society’s idiocy and fighting for bed space with my cat. (Currently we’re not on speaking terms.) Or bae watching, (Louis Tomlinson or Henry Cavilli any day. Just yum.) internet suffering, playing visual novels, or exploring the world.
Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!