This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Spring is a beautiful time of cleaning and growth that inspires everyone to crawl out of their hibernation to try new things. In addition to getting rid of anything they deem unnecessary and stress cleaning, there is another fun surprise when spring finally comes around. While the weather might be warming up, there is danger lurking outside that holds people hostage inside of their homes. What is this dangerous being? POLLEN!!!! 

As soon as it hits mid-March and the weather hits the mid-70s for a week or two, all of the plants in Vegas decide to explode with pollen. During the only two weeks of decent weather, all of the plants conspire with each other to make sure that even though it’s the time of growth and happiness after all of the cold, you are forced to choose between being out in nature and suffering or the staying inside of your house and maintaining the ability to breathe. Even if you pop an allergy pill, there is so much pollen that it seems ineffective and you still sniffle constantly. From dry eyes to cracked lips, there is no escaping the plight and suffering of pollen in the Vegas valley. 

After the two weeks of decent weather, the temperature decides that those who live in Vegas deserve to melt all the time. So within a month, the weather goes from 55 degrees to 95 degrees to trigger the start of summer. While the parts of the country continue to see spots of snow through May, Vegas is already too hot to bear for those not native to the area (and even then the natives are struggling). Suddenly people go from fuzzy long-sleeved shirts to crop tops and the tourists start arriving in droves. 

Spring in Vegas begins to introduce the hustle back into the valley after a few months of slow traffic and people begin to pick up where they left off. From the holiday slump to the hustle and bustle of the summer sales, spring is the transition period. However, just like normal transition periods, there are always obstacles. From pollen to spiking heat, those in Vegas face various obstacles as we near the busiest time in the Vegas Valley. 

Becca is a graduating senior Communication Studies major with a focus in Public Relations from the University of San Francisco. She is currently located in Las Vegas, Nevada due to the pandemic and enjoys consuming too many true crime shows and obsessing over her dog. She aspires to be a public relations professional specializing in political campaigns as a speech writer or campaign manager in the future. For now, she is enjoying finishing school and figuring out what all she wants to do in life besides work.
MaryCate (she/her) is a graduate of the University of San Francisco with a BA in International Studies. MaryCate is now a Master's student at Sciences Po in Paris, France studying European Affairs and Global Health.